PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo Linux?

PCessna
August 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hey all, I'm confused on where to find it, if gentoo.org is the actual site, the need some SERIOUS reorganization, Thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
August 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.gentoo.org/

Yes the official site, its always been messy there.

munkyeetr
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

PCessna
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.gentoo.org/

Yes the official site, its always been messy there.
Holy crap, Do then even offer an operating system?

GNOME? O_o

perlluver
August 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Gentoo 2008 Live CD, is gnome based, or XFCE. Not sure which one at the moment. I think they made it xfce to save space.

PCessna
August 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Gentoo 2008 Live CD, is gnome based, or XFCE. Not sure which one at the moment. I think they made it xfce to save space.

No, I've seen Gentoo in GNOME unless I'm retard, Anyone?

KiwiNZ
August 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
No, I've seen Gentoo in GNOME unless I'm retard, Anyone?

Please avoid using the term retard in this context

Thanks

perlluver
August 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Direct from gentoo.org:
The 2008.0 final release is out! Code-named "It's got what plants crave," this release contains numerous new features including an updated installer, improved hardware support, a complete rework of profiles, and a move to Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD. LiveDVDs are not available for x86 or amd64, although they may become available in the future. The 2008.0 release also includes updated versions of many packages already available in your ebuild tree.

SunnyRabbiera
August 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
No I think its XFCE...
Hey I take anything over kDE4 :D

FFighter
August 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Gentoo is great, I have used it for some time. However, it is not very pragmatic (too much time spent compiling stuff) and it is "opinionated software" in the sense that you like it or hate it.

It is what they call a "meta-distribution" or a distro to build distros. It doesn't come with Gnome or anything, you (need to) assemble it with whatever you want, nothing less, nothing more.

I prefer the pragmatism of Ubuntu, but Gentoo is a very good learning experience and could work for some specific cases in production environments (high-performance servers, minimalist systems, etc).

ibuclaw
August 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
I only use Gentoo for servers, since I've never really gotten the hang of portage in the command line...

But, speaking of portage, PCBSD7Alpha (ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-isos/i386/) is out :)

aaaantoine
August 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Gentoo is great, I have used it for some time. However, it is not very pragmatic (too much time spent compiling stuff) and it is "opinionated software" in the sense that, you like it or don't like its philosophy.

It is what they call a "meta-distribution" or a distro to build distros. It doesn't come with Gnome or anything, you assemble it with whatever you want.

If you want to compile a Linux distribution and all its components especially for your PC, then Gentoo is for you. Just understand that compiling everything straight from source code is a long and very complicated process.

I retract my previous statement.

spupy
August 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
If you want to compile a Linux distribution and all its components especially for your PC, then Gentoo is for you. Just understand that compiling everything straight from source code is a long and very complicated process.

That reminds me that I still haven't compiled OpenOffice! :O

By the way, OP, if you are serious about Gentoo, don't use the GUI installer. Do it the command line way. Print the handbook, get some snacks, drinks and a free day! :)

FFighter
August 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM

By the way, OP, if you are serious about Gentoo, don't use the GUI installer. Do it the command line way. Print the handbook, get some snacks, drinks and a free day! :)

Free days (plural).

PCessna
August 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone know a light, yet popular GNOME distribution of Linux -_-

perlluver
August 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Debian is pretty light and very stable.

FFighter
August 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM

You can turn Gentoo into that if you want.

However, Gnome is not a DE I would call "lightweight".

aaaantoine
August 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM

Almost everything.

ibuclaw
August 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM

You can configure gnome to be very light. You just need to sift through and sort out all background processes.

But, if you aren't willing to do that, there is Debian Gnome.

64Studio also offer a very good/lightweight look too. Although it's package list is favoured towards a Music/Graphic Studio style of Desktop, you can easily remove/purge the packages from your system once installed.

Regards
Iain

binbash
August 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I am using both ubuntu and gentoo.

Gentoo > 10x ubuntu .But ya compiling part is slow that sucks a little ^^

cardinals_fan
August 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
GNOME isn't the speediest desktop. However, the new Zenwalk GNOME version might fit.