PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 7.10 to 8.04lts via cd?

rapattack1
August 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi I have read all the docs on how to upgrade but it is not working. Nothing pops up when I put the Ubunto cd into the drive(well ti does show the contents but no option to upgrade). I also added the cd in the repositories (third party?)but not sure if I did that right. I tried using alt-F2 and then adding whatever command I was told to....forgot the damn thing now. I want to upgrade from a cd because of the very small amount of internet usage my isp gives me plus this is a cd that is known to be working. I have done fresh installs from it twice. It is a canonical made cd.
Ah something unusual happened. i also had ubuntustudio on cd and it asked if I wanted to upgrade from it when I put it in the drive. I chose not to because I don't want the whole studio(too many reason to get into here. As it is also 8.? Can I use this to upgrade? I did choose to open in synaptic and was able to choose one app(Kino) and it installed.

Partyboi2
August 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Deleted

DavidTangye
August 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
The CDs are not used for upgrading at all, only for new installs. After installing, the repositories are set for getting upgrades (as well as distro upgrades each 6 months) via the internet.

Partyboi2
August 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
The CDs are not used for upgrading at all, only for new installs. After installing, the repositories are set for getting upgrades (as well as distro upgrades each 6 months) via the internet.
You can upgrade with the alternate cd :)

rapattack1
August 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Well I finally was able to upgrade via a cd...at least I thought I did but everything mucked up so I did a fresh install. Infortunately it seems I didn't back up everything. Thought I did but ...ah well.
But sorry guys there is plenty of stuff written on the net about upgrading from a cd. Some docs do say that some people do have problems though as I did.

Sef
August 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Well I finally was able to upgrade via a cd...at least I thought I did but everything mucked up so I did a fresh install. Infortunately it seems I didn't back up everything. Thought I did but ...ah well.
But sorry guys there is plenty of stuff written on the net about upgrading from a cd. Some docs do say that some people do have problems though as I did.

Upgrades are more problematic than clean installs.

DavidTangye
August 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
You can upgrade with the alternate cd :)I am sure you are right, I just never considered doing it once I had an installation up and the latest software is via the 'net... Plus I am NOT going to argue with a poster with such a frightening mugshot. ;)

rapattack1
August 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Well I am glad it is all happening now and yeah i would be a bit frightened of that face too....creepy! Even got the network happening and that is new world for me. Although the wireless part is not happening yet. I have posted about it but no results yet. Thanks!!!

Partyboi2
August 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
I am sure you are right, I just never considered doing it once I had an installation up and the latest software is via the 'net... Plus I am NOT going to argue with a poster with such a frightening mugshot. ;)
:lolflag: