PDA

View Full Version : In the Market For A New GFX Card...

vjkeito
August 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

At the moment I'm running an ATI X800 XT PE with the latest flgrx driver installed.

It handles Armagetron a lot better than it used to with the prior proprietary drivers - or the open source ati/radeon ones for that matter.

*BUT*

It ain't perfect, ATI are slowly pulling their finger out for the linux community but it still appears that nVidia have a considerable lead over them when it come to their cards WORKING WELL.

what I'm after is a card that can handle unreal 3 (if it ever comes out for linux!!!!), armagetron (possibly the best game of all time) and compiz-fusion without any grubby side-effects.

I want smooth desktop effects without the jittery bugs that can so often be seen with my now aging x800

any advice on what works/is best supported, then please let me know

regards
k3ito

doorknob60
August 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, if you plan on using Wine, go with Nvidia. Otherwise, ATI would be a good choice, but TBH I'd still choose Nvidia, at least for now.

Vadi
August 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Same, nVidia for now...

vjkeito
August 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I want nVidia for sure just don't know which card to get was thinking an 8800 possibly but want to know that it'll be fully working really

tuxxy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
You should go with nvidia, and the 8800 range is good yes, even the 8600 if you fancy a good bargain card, both should run out of the box just need to enable the driver :)

Vadi
August 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I have an 8600gt, works wonderful