PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems using Ubuntu - need an earlier version?

El Nuddy Monk
August 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi guys, I hope this doesn't seem too stupid a question...

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my Dell computer, which has 256mb RAM. (I didn't see the system requirements!).

When I boot up (without a CD in the drive) it hangs before I get to the log-in screen. I'm unable to do anything at this point other than power the computer down (by holding the power button down) then trying to turn it on again. It normally takes no more than 3 or 4 attempts and I'm in, however it's a little bit frustrating.

I'm assuming it's just that my computer isn't quite up to loading the latest version (I haven't tried Ubuntu prior to this), so was wondering if an earlier release may resolve the problem, and if so where I can download a copy from? I've had a look on Ebay but don't fancy paying for freeware!

Thanks,

Andy

TenPlus1
August 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Try downloading Xubuntu instead and burning a CD (at low speed) from the .iso file...

Get the .iso's here: http://www.xubuntu.org/get

best with a torrent and forcing a re-check when done, just to make sure the image is ok...

El Nuddy Monk
August 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
That's great. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

snowpine
August 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
I agree that Xubuntu is probably a better choice for you. If you have your heart set on Ubuntu, however, you might have luck if you use the Alternate Install CD--it only requires 256mb of ram, so you are right at the cut-off.