PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay for games and applications that you run through wine ?

emshains
August 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
I was just wondering, about this, because it would be stupid to buy a game that doesn't work. You can give it back, but if you've bought it online there is no cash-back.

I'd rather ask a friend his CD and check, can I run it. Or I get the demo, but I've seen (in appdb.winehq.org) that demos may not run but the retail's do.

barbedsaber
August 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
I pirate err, was that out loud? 8-[;):-$

:-\"

what I meant to say was, I check the wine appDB first.

linuxguymarshall
August 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I chose yes because most of the apps I run, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Guild Wars, etc. I do pay for but there are a few like StarCraft and Diablo that I borrowed from a friend

SuperSonic4
August 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
No because I don't play games very much and also because if I want to play games I will just boot into vista and not use wine. I don't even have wine installed thanks to OO.org and pacpl audio converter

Swarms
August 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yes I pay for them, but I check in the AppDB how well they are running first.

Sunflower1970
August 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
I haven't had anything I needed to pay for yet. I don't play games...I did buy Myst, Riven and the third one...Exile I think it's called (?) I haven't installed them on my computers at all. Last time I played them was around 2000-2001 or so.

I stick with freeware apps, or 30 day trial programs which I've used only once...If I find a program I like and will use I'd pay for it, but so far everything I need and use daily does not use Wine.

zmjjmz
August 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Of the apps I use regularly in WINE, I should of payed for one, but it's abandonware (Flash 5) and the other (Ventrilo) is free.

bashveank
August 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I buy games that I run on my Windows box, if they run well under Wine than I don't complain.

emshains
August 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM

Lets just say you bother them from friends through torrents and such. :lolflag::lolflag:

emshains
August 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I've actually encountered when a game in appDB is rated gold and it isn't running on my machine (with nvidia), so I cannot say that I would trust my life to the appDB. So there is a posibility to buy a cat in a bag.

swoll1980
August 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes I pay for them, but I check in the AppDB how well they are running first.

The problem with that is the support for your program may end with a new release.

Warpnow
August 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
No.

They want my business, they can show it by porting their app to linux natively.

Dremora
August 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM

Those usually are not accurate,

For example, it says Knights of the Old Republic is Gold on the latest Wine on Ubuntu 8.04, it barely even works for me unless I use Cedega and doctor the shortcut to use Pulseaudio and the audio settings to use OSS, or else the sound cuts out.

Wine has screen resolution problems, mouse tracking problems, audio problems, garbled graphics......

emshains
September 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Those usually are not accurate,

For example, it says Knights of the Old Republic is Gold on the latest Wine on Ubuntu 8.04, it barely even works for me unless I use Cedega and doctor the shortcut to use Pulseaudio and the audio settings to use OSS, or else the sound cuts out.

Wine has screen resolution problems, mouse tracking problems, audio problems, garbled graphics......

Why should you even use pulseaudio ? I got rid of it, and I'm now using alsa, and I can listen to anything at the same time, I can use skype, I can use audacious and I can use WoW (with sound), and all at the same time, of course on my old machine running more than 10+ tabs on firefox means lagging, so in no case Im going to run wow with anything else.

speedwell68
September 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Personally I don't run Wine. If you need to to run Windows software, then run it in Windows.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't really run things in wine.

pp.
September 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I use Wine to run applications I have paid for and used long before I had Linux on my PCs.

original_jamingrit
September 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
The only things I run using wine are games that I bought before starting to use Linux instead of Windows. Now I prefer to buy Linux games instead. Vote with your wallets and all that. I live in a house with roommates that own all three of the latest gen consoles (lucky me) so I have no interest in buying the latest Windows games.

Naiki Muliaina
September 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I dont use any Windows games or apps. I have an odd pop onto Guildwars to say hello to RL friends but thats about it. Even then, apart from when i recently compiled Wine from source checking something from someone, i dont do that anymore realy.

smartboyathome
September 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes, I do. I usually see if anyone has ever had it working in AppDB, though I hardly ever actually buy programs to run through WINE (last one was SimGolf :p).

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I don't use Wine, so voted no.

(I have a windows partition for games. And yes I do pay for them.)

Anduu
September 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I buy games that I run on my Windows box, if they run well under Wine than I don't complain.

+1

If they run under Wine I consider it a bonus.

Bölvağur
September 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
it would be yes if I could get them running -.-

Polygon
September 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
no, because wine gives me terrible performance for games. i just use windows.

david_lynch
September 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM
No, sorry. I'm not going to spend a dime on ******* apps. Wine is a neat hack for approaching the problem, but my preference is native linux apps (or platform neutral apps such as azureus) and I will gladly pull out the credit card for a linux app that I like.

Faolan84
September 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Last game I bought was Age of Empires I & II in a pack. I bought it expressly to run in wine and it runs great. Maybe someday I'll try it in ReactOS when that project is a bit more mature, but right now wine is my Windows solution because it does everything I need it to do: Sim City 4, Kyodai Mahjongg, and AoE

AndyCooll
September 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I voted yes. I only really play one game, Football Manager, which I buy every year. Unfortunately there isn't a Linux version. Thankfully it runs fine with Wine.

:cool: