PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] supported Atheros card roaming but noc connecting

Marin85
August 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hi,
Im quite new to Linux and this forum and Im currently looking for a little help on a somewhat weird issue with my wifi card in Ubuntu. Here is the story: I have recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 x86 in a dual-boot configuration with my Vista Business x86 setup on a ThinkPad Z61p having a ThinkPad Atheros 802.11abg wireless LAN mini PCI-Express adapter installed internally (if I remember correctly, the Atheros chipset must be AR5BXB6). The wifi card is listed as fully supported by madwifi and Im pretty sure its not somewhat defective as it works flawlessly under Vista. Also the device is recognized by Ubuntu and seems to work without a scratch in roaming mode since Ubuntu is indeed able to localize a plenty of wireless networks around (even more than Windows is able to with the very same card). However, as soon as I try to connect to my home network or to other networks I have access to, Ubuntu just fails to establish connection regardless of the router or encryption type. Here is an output of iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11a ESSID:"novo.bg" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.32 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:8 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=9/70 Signal level=-88 dBm Noise level=-97 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:6552 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

irda0 no wireless extensions.

Im pretty clueless about this issue and will appreciate any insights. Let me know if any logs are needed.

Thanks in advance

Marin

pro003
August 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
ath0 is your wifi card showing activity...
you only need to configure it in System > Administration > Network

Marin85
August 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Well, you see, each time I have to connect to a wireless network with some kind of encryption I have to go through the manual configuration, so unfortunately this isnt what "I only need to do" ;) I wish it was that simple. Even when trying to connect to free hotspots the tray icon shows a wireless connection established to the given network but there is no internet, nor Ubuntu can update. For the record, the Intel Wireless PRO 3945abg works out of the box in Hardy.
Any further insights?

Marin

@moderators: I just saw that I posted in the wrong section, so feel free to move this thread out to the network/wireless section. Thanks