http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-alternative-linux-music-players/

TenPlus1
August 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
You forgot MPD and Sonata :)

billgoldberg
August 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
You forgot MPD and Sonata :)

mpd isn't a music player.

I like mpd when it's controlled by mpc. Sonata isn't bad either, but I prefer mpc.

-

When I just want to play a single song, I won't use mpc though.

Then I use xmms.

tbroderick
August 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm a big decibel audio player fan. Nice to see it's included.

chris4585
August 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
+1 for quodlibet

but.. where the crap is banshee on that list?? I don't use it but I know how good it is..

RiceMonster
August 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
+1 for Audacious

I'm using Audacious because of the sound quality and because it uses GTK2 (XMMS uses GTK1). I'm really picking about a working equalizer, and none of the players the use gstreamer have one that works, or one at all. Amarok has an alright one, but I don't like using QT. Plus, I like the skinable Winamp style interface on audacious.

I'm going to try out Decibel audio player out. I've never tried it.

I'm also not sure what I think of songbird. It looks promising, but at the same time, it looks filled with a ton of stuff I don't want to use. I'll wait untill it at least reaches beta to make a better decision.

+1 for quodlibet

but.. where the crap is banshee on that list?? I don't use it but I know how good it is..

Read the top of the article. It, along with Amarok and Rhythmbox were not chosen because they're commonly used players.

picpak
August 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
They forgot Exaile.

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Edit: never mind

chris4585
August 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Read the top of the article. It, along with Amarok and Rhythmbox were not chosen because they're commonly used players.

ah my stupidity I skimmed it, I thought audacious was common?

Its all perspective though I guess, I mean I don't like rythembox, or amarok, especially amarok.

I use quodlibet all the time and know how great it is, and audacious for playing single files. Banshee is good but, theres one thing preventing me from using it.

RiceMonster
August 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
ah my stupidity I skimmed it, I thought audacious was common?

Its all perspective though I guess, I mean I don't like rythembox, or amarok, especially amarok.

I use quodlibet all the time and know how great it is, and audacious for playing single files. Banshee is good but, theres one thing preventing me from using it.

Yeah I agree about Audacious. It seems to be about as common as Banshee. I don't like rythembox either.

SunnyRabbiera
August 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I too like audacious, that and amarok are my two faves.

floreal
August 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
Best one is Amarok. But Audacious is better for internet streams.

ODF
August 21st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Audacious is good in my case because I used to be a Winamp user.

cardinals_fan
August 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
AlsaPlayer > RealPlayer > *

greenkernel
August 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have tried using Rhythmbox, Amarok, Exaile, Banshee, and Audacious. I found Audacious is the best. It has a great Equalizer and is light weighted. Audacious is the player I've ever wanted!

Cheers,

greenkernel

darthmob
August 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I do like rhythmbox but I'm always open for new stuff. I will give 'em a try if I find some time. :)

doorknob60
August 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Amarok and Songbird are the only ones I like, although I haven't used Banshee much, the ones on the list all look okay but nothing compares to my awesome Amarok :D Integrates perfectly with KDE, even an awesome kicker applet to control it :) I use Songbird in Windows though, at least until KDE4 for Windows is more stable and Amarok 2.0 final is out.

jetcoasterlove
July 20th, 2011, 07:45 AM
thanks to you guys i've now switched from audacious to Quod Libet! It's a magnificent music player and it's very minimalistic. I'm tired of all of those players that constantly offer you 'recommendations' or 'let you scrobble' your music. I'm tired of lastfm honestly, so the less the merrier. The good thing is that you have your set of plugins that if you feel it to be necessary you can add them so that's nice too and the ability to edit tags is also great. Overall i'm in love with this little thingy ^ ^

Elfy
July 20th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Old thread closed.