PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Postgresql

joewest
August 21st, 2008, 04:08 AM
I am fairly new to Linux, but I hate windows. I read that Postgresql will do many of the things that MS Access would do, or at the very minimum allow me to build my databases without ever looking back.
I downloaded postgresql-8.3.3-2-linux-x64(2).bin. I have no idea what to do with it next. The book I have shows many instructions, none of which work for me. It keeps referencing Red Hat, which I don't have. It says to replace rpm with deb, but none of that works.
Is there somewhere I can search for proper instructions for Ubuntu to install this package, or perhaps I have the wrong package? A book, or whatever will help get me up to speed. I would appreciate any help I can get. :confused::confused:
Joe West

Partyboi2
August 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM
I suggest following this guide (http://hocuspokus.net/2008/05/13/install-postgresql-on-ubuntu-804/) the packages you need to install are in the ubuntu repos.

manishtech
August 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Check the above link, it makes everything very clear
postgresql ==> Postgresql server
postgresql-client ==> Client
postgresql-contrib ==>provides several additional features for the PostgreSQL database
pgadmin3 ==> Web based frontend

I always recommend to use the package manager for installing anything. Just have a look at it for any packages you want to install.