PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ipod touch 2.0

nalta
August 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Well i got an ipod touch, jail broke it and upgraded it to 2.0, un-jail broke it, all while i used vista. I then decided to make a full swap over to ubuntu. I forgot the itunes/ipod touch problem. I do not want to go back to a jail broken ipod because of copy write issues, and i know this question is asked a lot but

HOW DO I SYNC MY IPOD TOUCH TO MY UNBUNTU RUNNING PC (Hopefully with ought jailbreaking!)

NOTE: i do have wine and crossover

damis648
August 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
You must jailbreak it to 1.1.4 at this point. There is no option at this point for syncing without a jailbreak. I have tried to sync with my jailbroken 2.0 iPhone, but the new 2.0 firmware performs a checksum on the iTunes synced library so the synced music doesn't show up... I had to go back to 1.1.4 until they come up with a solution for this. If you decide to jailbreak back down to 1.1.4, take a look at this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

nalta
August 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
really is there no way to run itunes? NOTHING? This makes me want to dual boot witch i really do not like doing.:confused:

rakan21
August 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Well theres only 3 alternative I can come up with for you. Use VirtualBox and install Windows through that. Its developed by Sun Microsystems and its for free. Make sure in its settings you enable USB 2.0 or you can try VMWare Workstation which is not free for Linux but has a lot better support for running windows in Linux. I would recommend you using VirtualBox seeing how its built by a company that works with Linux and its own OS. And if all of this fails try Jailbreaking to 2.0 software. I heard from CNET (download.com) that it has now been Jailbroken. So thats pretty much it.

I might buy and iPod touch or iPhone soon. So if any of these suggestions work can you please please send me and email telling me how it goes.
Rakan21@gmail.com
Thanks

- Rabayah, Rakan

Ocxic
September 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
virtualbox will not sync with ipods, I've treied it doesn't detect properly, and wine need some patching that I'm not sure how to do.
Jailbreaking is NOT illegal, nor does it create ANY copyright issues at all. if your worried about copyright issues just pay for all your music/videos.

G M Makela
May 7th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I've tried Wine and Crossover for my iTouch-4...neither will sync. My solution, buy a Netbook running Windows 7...use that to sync. As Cheap as buying Windows 7 stand alone software and you know it will work! Plus you'll have a windows Netbook!

I think Apple and Windows suck for not supporting Linux/Ubuntu versions of their software! :(