PDA

View Full Version : I need a new IM service!

kevin11951
August 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
i am so sick of aim loosing my contacts, or dropping my emails, i changed to gmail, and now i need a new IM service.

i was thinking Google talk, does anyone have anything to say about Google talk?

maybe another service would be better? msn, icq, etc...?

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM
I've been using Googletalk lately. It's pretty good. I haven't had any problems with it like I have had with MSN. Sometimes I get randomly disconnected from MSN. And Googletalk is supported in Pidgin. All Googletalk really is is Jabber. It's an open protocol so it's very well supported. :)

smartboyathome
August 21st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I still use MSN because that is what most of my contacts use, but I also use Google Talk. I would say if you want to go with another service, use Google Talk, though if you want to talk to other MSN contacts, there is Yahoo's IM service, I haven't used it.

Dr Small
August 21st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Jabber

fedex1993
August 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Jabber

jabber or google talk even thoe google talk is pretty much jabber

kevin11951
August 21st, 2008, 04:07 AM
well, since i already have gmail, i guess i will use google talk.

xdarkxanarchyx
August 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
http://www.jabber.org/

kevin11951
August 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
http://www.jabber.org/

why does everyone keep saying jabber!? im using google talk, isnt that jabber?

xdarkxanarchyx
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 AM

Yeah, basically. It uses XMPP & so does the LiveJournal IM system.

-grubby
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 AM

Google talk is jabber, yes. You should just be able to set up a new xmpp account in pidgin using your gmail info and have it work fine

Northsider
August 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM
I have Gtalk, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, and probably some more that I never use. I just log in them all through pidgin...seriously they are all the same! No one is better than any other, they all do the same thing: connect and chat.

kevin11951
August 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM
I have Gtalk, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, and probably some more that I never use. I just log in them all through pidgin...seriously they are all the same! No one is better than any other, they all do the same thing: connect and chat.

but aim lost all my info, everything i setup over the years gone!

xdarkxanarchyx
August 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
I use my friends jabber server to and connect to AIM through it. I've got Y!, MSN & MySpace and each is just for one or two people. I can't seem to convince or walk others through using jabber. :(
I've been switching between Gajim and Pidgin. I like that I can use my OpenPGP key for Gajim but I haven't found a jabber server for the other networks.

tashmooclam
August 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
How about meebo.com? It is web-based but will let you chat with people using various other chat clients.

mrgnash
August 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Jabber/Google Talk leave Yahoo/MSN and co. for dead :)

Lod
August 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Jabber/Google Talk leave Yahoo/MSN and co. for dead :)Why?

RiceMonster
August 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM

Agreed. I only use MSN, but I've tried other IM services. I'll just stick with MSN because everyone I know uses it. I don't care about anything else. I just want to chat with my friends.

mrgnash
August 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
Why?

Because it's open, and it just works.

Also, Google Talk/Jabber supports SSL encryption -- the others do not. So the above post about the different services not being different in any way is complete rubbish.

Lod
August 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Oh, okay. Here in the Netherlands almost everyone is using MSN so I'll have to stick with it.

LookTJ
August 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM
If you want stable and open IM network service: XXMP

If you want a popular(what everyone uses and familiar with) IM service(with a few problems: connectivity is what I hear of from others using pidgin, though new pidgin should solve that): MSN

c2olen
August 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
The majority of my contacts is using MSN, so this is still on my highly usage list. For all other contacts, there is nothing else but GoogleTalk.

hellion0
August 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
+1 for Jabber/Google Talk/LJTalk/anything else using XMPP.

kirsis
August 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I, like a lot of people, use MSN (and sometimes Skype) out of necessity. If I could have my way, everyone would use GTalk :) It's more reliable than MSN, which way too often just swallows messages and spits out "message could not be delivered"

Though I'm not sure if XMPP supports audio/video conversations.

loell
August 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Though I'm not sure if XMPP supports audio/video conversations.

it does, through jingle :)

KillerSponge
August 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Well, to be fair, GTalk has its fair share of connection problems. Mainly messages not getting delivered, and a rare random disconnect. I still use it, and so do all my friends (lucky me). So yeah, GTalk ftw! :KS