PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power usage. Seems different then in Vista.

hardwiredcircuit
August 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hello. I am new to this forum and new to Ubuntu. I have a gateway M-6841. I could not stand Vista and decided to go all the way with Ubuntu. I am determined to learn how to get the most out of this even if i have to download things and learn new things, which i love doing to make it a stable, SECURE, OS. So thanks for helping me out and starting my voyage from Windows to Linux.

Question is: In vista, it seemed i could get WAY more power out of my battery. and it didnt take as long to charge. I now have the entire HD partioned with the latest of Ubuntu. It seems now, the battery life is just sucked out. and it takes a long time to charge it. only once the battery indicater said cant get data, or something. how can i correct this issue. and also, what would be the best way to ensure all the hardware on my laptop is working correctly. like, the volume, seems different as well. when i listen to music, it seems i cant turn it up as much. thank you so much for reading. thanks for the help. i hope i can become a helper in the ubuntu community as well.

libra1780
August 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
it sucks your battery because it goes always max performance.
you coud fix that using power management modules and cpufreq to control cpu speed dynamically

try this howto
http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=394911
for the sound thing.. maybe your wave level is too low. adjust it in the mixer

ah, forgot.. welcome to the comunity