PDA

View Full Version : Webcam recommendations for Skype

JerecDrak2
August 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,
I recently built a computer and installed Hardy on it for my grandmother (who has never used a computer before and only wanted one to browse the net and use e-mail so she could keep in touch) and she has heard about Skype and wants to install it. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a webcam that works well in Hardy? My Microsoft VX-6000 doesn't work at all and I'm not really sure what other brands/models are compatible with Linux.
Thanks for any help:KS

niko7865
August 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I also need to get a webcam for skype, and would like to see what people recommend.

If I can't figure out which ones are supported, I'll probably just buy a cheap Logitech cam, as Logitech products seem to be well supported.

LookTJ
August 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I too think the Logitech is good choice, as they are well supported hardware.

[off-topic]think your grandma will be comfortable learning Dvorak layout?[/off-topic]

My suggestion is based off support of hardware, as I never used webcams in Linux before.

cody50
August 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
I have a logitech quickcam 9000 and ubuntu gutsy, skype 2.0.0.72.

while the camera works, I would say that it does not work well at all compared to how the same camera works on xp. often the bottom fourth of my video will freeze while the top part continues to work fine.

It is terrible to see the differences in driver quality.

JerecDrak2
August 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah I'd heard that Logitech were well supported, but does anyone know of any specific models that work well? I'd rather have a recommendation than go out and buy a random model that may not work so well.

lingnoi
August 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have a logitech quickcam 9000 and ubuntu gutsy, skype 2.0.0.72.

while the camera works, I would say that it does not work well at all compared to how the same camera works on xp. often the bottom fourth of my video will freeze while the top part continues to work fine.

It is terrible to see the differences in driver quality.Too bad, if you downloaded the latest UVC driver your quickcam pro 9000 (the same cam I have) would be working great with no freezing.

I defiantly recommend buying one as it works really well in Skype.

JerecDrak2
August 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Does Hardy include the latest UVC driver by default or do you have to download it?

bikeboy
August 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I think the 2.6.26 kernel got a big update to the UVC driver - that will make an appearance in Ubuntu 8.10.\

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_26#head-6d4ee1ddea983f5c8ac491b8685a94ea6fa4132b
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

cody50
August 21st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Too bad, if you downloaded the latest UVC driver your quickcam pro 9000 (the same cam I have) would be working great with no freezing.

Ok, I had been wondering about that, since I am using an old version of ubuntu (been holding out for Intrepid)

Thanks for the tip!

Despite what I said earlier, I bought the quickcam 9000 particularly because my research said it was well supported.

myotis
August 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Too bad, if you downloaded the latest UVC driver your quickcam pro 9000 (the same cam I have) would be working great with no freezing.

Can you tell me how you got it to work. I replaced a Logitech 5000 with a 9000 based on it working out the box, but I have the same problems with no video. It works with other apps but not with Skype. Testing the video in Skype simply causes Skype to shut down. The 5000 worked perfectly in 7 with Skype, but not since the Hardy upgrade.

I have installed the latest drivers from berlios but this didn't. I changed the resolution settings in the Skype preferences that stopped it crashing, but the test image is just a mess of coloured dots. And it seems that the different resolution options either crash Skype or give me this dotty image.

In fact when you Skype someone, you do get an image sometimes, but equally, most of the time if you activate the video, it cuts the connection, and even when its working the image quality is very poor and broken up.

I have asked for help a few times but not received a reply, and some replies to others with the same problem have suggested that it is a bug, awaiting an Ubuntu update.

So if you can help me get it working I would be very grateful.

Graham

zmjjmz
August 21st, 2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/browse/search?offset=0&category=33&manufacturer=&keywords=

Polygon
August 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM
my logitech quickcam 3000 works fine with ubuntu and skype.

lingnoi
November 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Can you tell me how you got it to work. I replaced a Logitech 5000 with a 9000 based on it working out the box, but I have the same problems with no video. It works with other apps but not with Skype. Testing the video in Skype simply causes Skype to shut down. The 5000 worked perfectly in 7 with Skype, but not since the Hardy upgrade.

I didn't do anything, I'm using Hardy with all updates, just plug it in, start skype, options select camera and you're done.

Try a new version of skype for Linux, i'm betting that's your problem.

myotis
November 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I didn't do anything, I'm using Hardy with all updates, just plug it in, start skype, options select camera and you're done.

Try a new version of skype for Linux, i'm betting that's your problem.

I have been using the latest version available from Skype and the latest versions, and different options, via the Medibuntu repositories. None make any difference.

If you can point me towards a more up to date version than those available at those two places, that would be very useful.

Thanks,

Graham

steveneddy
November 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Personally I would say that whatever works should do the job.

I just use the built in web cam in my laptop.

I hear that Logitech is a good brand that works well with Linux.

myotis
November 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Personally I would say that whatever works should do the job.

I just use the built in web cam in my laptop.

I hear that Logitech is a good brand that works well with Linux.

Mmmm, if you are replying to my sub-thread, as was the last post, then you will see from that post that neither a logitech 5000 or logitech 9000 work, at least not on 8.04. The 5000 worked on 7, but 8.04 broke it.

This earlier post revived a very old thread, and since then I have followed all sorts of advice, nothing of which works. I am not alone with this apparently unfixable problem, but equally, many, are having no problems at all.

Graham

Johnsie
November 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
On Windows you wouldn't have to worry if it's compatible... Seriously though, most creative or logitech cams work on Linux. In terms of piture quality with cams, you get what you pay for. Try and go for something above 1 megapixel.

ps. Amsn also works with video on msn but the implementation of that looks pretty awful.

uidb4056
November 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I've a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 and it works very well in Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. Even it's a bit more expensive than others it has very good quality