PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't install or uninstall any more packages!!

2uRcJQ34G1
August 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hello,
I am new to Ubuntu and its great, except I've run into an obstacle. I cannot Install or Uninstall any more packages neither through 'Add/Remove Applications' nor through 'Synaptic Package Manager'. When I open SPM, get this error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

As I searched the forums for this error I came across a possible solution: To clear the cache in terminal. So I did:

sudo apt-get clean (This worked)
sudo apt-get autoclean
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

The problem still persists, can someone help me with this?
Thank You.

cpetercarter
August 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > terminal).

Type in

sudo dpkg --configure -a

You will be asked for your password. Just type it in and press enter - you will not see either your password or a line of dots or asterisks on the terminal screen - don't worry, this is normal.

The dpkg programme will then output a load of stuff to the terminal, which will (hopefully) tell you that it has sorted the problem.

2uRcJQ34G1
August 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I did and it gave me this...

(All kinds of files)...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
kde4libs-bin
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4

Thanks for the reply. What now?

oldos2er
August 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Try running "sudo aptitude install -f"

loboc
August 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
you are done problem solved
try

apt-get update

and see if synaptic works to verify

2uRcJQ34G1
August 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi, thank you all!! Ubuntu Forums RoCk!!
This how I did it, for others who might have the same problem. I tried to run the updater and it started the manager for me. After which I just filter the broken packages and then re-installed those. Later, I completely un-installed the packages which I was trying to uninstall (this is what where the trouble started). Et voila! Probleme solved. Cheers.