PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 910 with Ubuntu!

etomic13
August 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM
The Dell Inspiron 910 is supposedly coming out this Friday (August 22) as reported by Gizmodo,

"A few weeks ago we ran some rumored specs of Dell's answer to the Eee, the Dell Inspiron 910 (aka Mini Inspiron and Inspiron Mini). Now we've gotten our hands on the full (internal) 910 web documentation. Along with scoping shots from every angle, we've learned that the 910 will support SSDs up to 16GB and has what looks to be very moddable internals (large Phillips-head screws hold that SSD in place). The system will go on sale in just a few days—August 22nd our source says—but we still don't know whether or not that $299 starting price is just a myth."

Original Story (http://gizmodo.com/5038298/leaked-dell-inspiron-910-mini-note-specs-and-release-date)

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but it seems fascinating. Not only does the device look beautiful the specs arent to shabby and the price has me drooling at $299. I would kill for a small good looking UMPC at a good price and especially an Atom processor. This solves the only problem I had with the EEE is that it looked and felt too much like a toy. This looks like a mobile work horse and if they do launch at that $299 price bracket they will grab some attention from Asus and instill that "Gotta have it" impulse that we only saw with the EEE.

Greenwizard88
August 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I'm saving up for it, starting tonight. Hopefully Ubuntu Remix (still not 100% sure what that is) will be awesome on it!

etomic13
August 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Yea I really want a new laptop my Compaq Presario is reaching one year old and its already showing signs of aging I already replaced the hard drive and it has back light problems. The Mini Note doesn't look bad but its a bit expensive considering it doesn't have the best components. I'm at $140 towards the Dell 910 I really hope it launches at $299.

To learn more about Ubuntu Remix (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/netbook-remix)

The Dell 910 is slated to run Ubuntu 8.04 out of the box apparently.

Pinoy915
August 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I wonder if this guy put Vista on his EEE. I like it and if it stays around that price range I would consider buying it (Ubuntu version).

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2356/commentbc2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bigbrovar
August 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
awesome i think i just might get one

Kobalt
August 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
It will ship with Ubuntu Remix. (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-dells-eee-killer-to-ship-with-ubuntu-preinstalled.html)

teet
August 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The only thing that worries me is the video card. All it says is "up to 8 mb shared".

If I bought something like this, I would want to be able to watch streaming flash video at full screen resolution...I'm not sure this would be powerful enough.

-teet

Warpnow
August 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I am pretty sure the atom processor is more than capable of playing Flash videos regardless of the video card.

I want to see measurements of the keyboard.

TwiceOver
August 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
If they can truly launch at $299 then I'll get one. But so far almost every netbook manufacturer has given a $299 price tag and not met it yet.

Warpnow
August 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If they can truly launch at $299 then I'll get one. But so far almost every netbook manufacturer has given a $299 price tag and not met it yet.

Actually, most gave $199 and launched at $299. Like the EEE. The eee starts at $299.

LaRoza
August 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I am excited about these UMPC's. I will eventually get one. I was in Circuit City (large store, known for newb computers and Windows) and they had the Acer One with Linux on it and they advertised it!

TwiceOver
August 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Actually, most gave $199 and launched at $299. Like the EEE. The eee starts at $299.

Sorry, should have said 9" netbooks. The 7" 800x480 EEE at $300 is not really what I'm looking for.

lefen
August 19th, 2008, 04:27 PM
The Dell 910 looks to have comparable specs to the EEE 901, so I'll be interested to see if the former has a comparable or better battery life.

etomic13
August 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thats a bit ridiculous to ship with only a 7mb Video Card. And the SSD is in fact user replaceable there are screws on the back to take it out and Im not sure what the limits are on RAM but one gig would suffice for a device like this.

gn2
August 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
The only thing that worries me is the video card. All it says is "up to 8 mb shared".

If I bought something like this, I would want to be able to watch streaming flash video at full screen resolution...I'm not sure this would be powerful enough.

-teet

It'll be fine.

I used to watch YouTube and BBC iPlayer in fullscreen 1024x768 on a Toshiba Portege 3440CT (http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/portege3440/product.htm) which had an 8mb video adapter, PIII 500mhz CPU and 192mb RAM.
That's more pixels than the 1024x600 found in the new netbooks.

Weav
August 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah I will definitely be looking at getting one if it can provide all its bang for the buck.

Ub1476
August 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm excited what people will think of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix interface.. Hope they sell this in the store (with Linux) and not only online. If I ever see it on Best Buy, I'm gonna buy it (if it's cheap):)

DeadSuperHero
August 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I just don't want a computer that small, I want a full sized laptop!

tom66
August 19th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I want one :(

teet
August 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
It'll be fine.

I used to watch YouTube and BBC iPlayer in fullscreen 1024x768 on a Toshiba Portege 3440CT (http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/portege3440/product.htm) which had an 8mb video adapter, PIII 500mhz CPU and 192mb RAM.
That's more pixels than the 1024x600 found in the new netbooks.

Why does my P3 1.06 ghz laptop with 512 mb of ram (64 mb shared with intel 82830 graphics) choke on flash videos? It's extremely choppy with full screen. My desktop (3.06 ghz celeron D, 1 gb ram, 256 mb nvidia 6200) has similar problems...in windows xp or ubuntu.

Does anyone else have an atom-based netbook that could comment on the performance of streaming flash video (e.g. from hulu.com).

-teet

jespdj
August 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
There are some stories about the Dell Inspiron 910, Dell's mini laptop with the Intel Atom processor, rumouring that it will be available on August 22 in the USA, and that it will ship with Ubuntu.

For example, from Ars Technica: Dell's Eee-killer to ship with Ubuntu preinstalled (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-dells-eee-killer-to-ship-with-ubuntu-preinstalled.html)

This looks like a really nice mini laptop! I want one! :)

Unfortunately it's unclear when or even if it will be sold in Europe, and what the price will be... :(

Chame_Wizard
August 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
The same thing as the $

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
If I have the extra cash, I may get one also (I learned of it from another thread)

gn2
August 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Previous reviews I have seen show the Dell netbook with no function F1-12 keys, so it will be interesting to see if it eventually ships with a more conventional keyboard.

ARhere
August 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
I just don't want a computer that small, I want a full sized laptop!

BAH!!! My co-worker is bugging me to get a "desktop replacement" laptop for when we travel. Why the hell does anyone need more then a UMPC for a portable PC (ignoring the reason of games). His laptop weighs 25 pounds for crying out loud!

I am buying one next week. I have been waiting for this for a while.

-AR

teet
August 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Any word on the status of the 910? I thought it was going to be released today?

-teet

jespdj
August 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
There was a rumour that it would be released in the USA today. There has not been any official announcement by Dell.

ARhere
August 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
I just spoke to a DELL online sales rep. and he said to check back with him in September. Not sure if this was a throw away line or spoken with knowledge on his part.

-AR

Eddiep92
August 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Why would they limit it's graphics card to '8mb shared' though. It just doesn't make sense. Does anyone know why it would be limited to mb, I can't understand the point in doing, it just doesn't make sense.

LookTJ
August 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Why would they limit it's graphics card to '8mb shared' though. It just doesn't make sense. Does anyone know why it would be limited to mb, I can't understand the point in doing, it just doesn't make sense.
8MB is more than enough for normal everyday things in my opinion. A mini is not meant for games :)

teet
August 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I can't understand the 8 mb thing either. Welcome to 1998... Heck, even my nearly 7 year old laptop has an intel card with 64 mb of shared memory. We'll just have to wait and see what the real specs are.

I wouldn't care about playing any intense games on this thing, but it would be nice to watch fullscreen flash videos, use googleearth, and use compiz without any hiccups.

-teet

zekopeko
August 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i think that it has a intel 950 card in it so that means that it has 8mb of dedicated ram + another 216 shared from the main system RAM, so total 224mb of ram

Eddiep92
August 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see until it officially comes out.

aysiu
August 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see until it officially comes out.
Who knows when that will be?

Originally Dell was supposed to have a whole Dell E Series netbook line-up to be announced in early August.

No announcement in early August at all.

Finally a "leak" (i.e., rumor) last week that it would come out this past Friday (August 22).

August 22 came and went. No Inspiron 910.

Still no official announcement from Dell yet.

With students going back to school now or soon, Dell really dropped the ball on this one.

Eddiep92
August 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Who knows when that will be?

Originally Dell was supposed to have a whole Dell E Series netbook line-up to be announced in early August.

No announcement in early August at all.

Finally a "leak" (i.e., rumor) last week that it would come out this past Friday (August 22).

August 22 came and went. No Inspiron 910.

Still no official announcement from Dell yet.

With students going back to school now or soon, Dell really dropped the ball on this one.

Some people reckeon that they aren't releasing it yet because they want people to buy there more expensive notebooks in the back to school rush, rather than there cheaper netbooks.

Most people reckon some time in September it will be released, but people said that about August in July.

Maybe they are just having some problems manufacturing them, or there's a shortage of the atom.

I don't know, it all just speculation really.

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Anyone else have news on this? My old laptop is starting to fail and I want an ultra portable with Remix.

Sorry System76, your laptops are too expensive for me. :(

-AR

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM
Anyone else have news on this? My old laptop is starting to fail and I want an ultra portable with Remix.

-AR

We are all waiting with credit cards ready...

It should be soon, but I have heard no date yet.

teet
September 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM

-AR

I heard September 4th is going to be the release date. I don't remember where I read it...some guy made a comment that he called Dell and talked to a rep and they told him september 4th. Who knows if it's true or not. Sounds reasonable enough though.

-teet

Eddiep92
September 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I heard September 4th is going to be the release date. I don't remember where I read it...some guy made a comment that he called Dell and talked to a rep and they told him september 4th. Who knows if it's true or not. Sounds reasonable enough though.

-teet

There's been about five different rumours about it's release date so I'm just waiting until there is actually a written announcement on dell's website.

I think I might get one. If it really is $299 thats £150 which is £50 cheaper than the acer aspire with nearly the same specs. I'm not sure whether to go for XP or Ubuntu, undoubtedly everyone here is all for the ubuntu version, I'm still not sure though...

gn2
September 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
There's been about five different rumours about it's release date so I'm just waiting until there is actually a written announcement on dell's website.

I think I might get one. If it really is $299 thats £150 which is £50 cheaper than the acer aspire with nearly the same specs. I'm not sure whether to go for XP or Ubuntu, undoubtedly everyone here is all for the ubuntu version, I'm still not sure though...

If the price is the same, you could get the Windows one and dual-boot.

Doubt the Dell will undercut the Acer Aspire by a margin of £50 in the UK though.
Function keys would be nice.....

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
... undoubtedly everyone here is all for the ubuntu version, I'm still not sure though...

Most people here are pro-choice, not necessarily pro-Ubuntu-only. If you want Windows XP then get it and enjoy! :KS

I understand not having Windows puts a small panicked voice inside people new to Linux that says, "What if it does not work, what will I do?" If you are not sure, then play around with Ubuntu on another box until you decide you do or don't like it.

Unlike Microsoft, no one in the Ubuntu community is going to force or guilt you into using Ubuntu.

-AR

Eddiep92
September 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm all for 'pro choice' too, it's a tough one though, I would have liked to have used it for a bit of very lightweight gaming aswell as word processing and surfing the web. I suppose I could just use linux games and wine.

I have full faith in Ubuntu working, it's whats making me think about going for the inspiron 910 rather than the Acer Aspire One, I would much rather go with an OS as well known as Ubuntu rather than one which has just been made for that particular netbook.

I could dual boot, but installing XP or Ubuntu on it may not be as easy as you might think. I may not be able to get hold of the version of ubuntu which is optomised to work on the 910 and I would have no idea about how to get hold of a copy of XP.

I don't know if this thing is ever going to come out, it must be about three months ago that the 910 was first spotted.

ARhere
September 3rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
... I would have liked to have used it for a bit of very lightweight gaming aswell as word processing and surfing the web. I suppose I could just use linux games and wine.

With what you just said, I have two thoughts for you.

1. I am an avid gamer. I have a nice gaming system where I play WoW, Eve-Online, a few others, and looking forward to Diablo III ....... and everything runs Ubuntu. (WoW runs at 13 FPS faster under WINE then in Windows XP) No dual boot with Windows at all. With WINE 1.0 being released, a few other great cross platform solutions, and a lot of game makers realizing they need to create cross platform games, the terms "Gamer" and "Linux" are no longer mutually exclusive. :guitar:

2. If you are even remotely thinking about running games, I would not buy a DELL 910, or any other ultra portable for that matter. Go to a local computer store that carries the Eee PC, and you will find a game called "Planet Penguin Racer". It is a fun Linux game with minimal OpenGL graphics. Play it a little and you will see the FPS are around 10 or so. Nuff said. :(

-AR

Warpnow
September 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
With what you just said, I have two thoughts for you.

1. I am an avid gamer. I have a nice gaming system where I play WoW, Eve-Online, a few others, and looking forward to Diablo III ....... and everything runs Ubuntu. (WoW runs at 13 FPS faster under WINE then in Windows XP) No dual boot with Windows at all. With WINE 1.0 being released, a few other great cross platform solutions, and a lot of game makers realizing they need to create cross platform games, the terms "Gamer" and "Linux" are no longer mutually exclusive. :guitar:

2. If you are even remotely thinking about running games, I would not buy a DELL 910, or any other ultra portable for that matter. Go to a local computer store that carries the Eee PC, and you will find a game called "Planet Penguin Racer". It is a fun Linux game with minimal OpenGL graphics. Play it a little and you will see the FPS are around 10 or so. Nuff said. :(

-AR

The new Netbooks are using an intel Atom processor, which should be more than enough for light gaming.

david_lynch
September 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Interesting. My current laptop is a compaq v6000 salvage. It was dropped by the original owner and no longer worked. A new hard drive, a gig of RAM and a hardy install and it works pretty well now.

That inspiron 910 looks like a great little box for carrying around - not a heavy gaming rig, but fine for web, emails, note taking and vpn access on the road.

Naturally I want mine microsoft-free:guitar:

Eddiep92
September 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
I just found this, there have been a lot of rumours about the 910, but it looks like Dell have actually confirmed that it will be released tomorrow.
http://www.slashgear.com/dell-inspiron-910-netbook-confirmed-for-thursday-4th-says-wsj-0315199.php

There seems to be other similar stories on the web, of course it could turn out to be nothing but it looks pretty real, now all we have to do is to wait for a review to be put somewhere online.

ARhere
September 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
The new Netbooks are using an intel Atom processor, which should be more than enough for light gaming.

True, but why would any manufacture put a fast, power hungry GPU with the Atom??? Does not seem realistic. Thats why I suggest not expecting no more then basic 3D level of effect.

I would LOVE to be wrong and the 910 is able to play Quake III with 30fps. (notice I said Quake and not 4!)

-Andrew

LMP900
September 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Looks like it's official: Dell releases Inspiron Mini (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/dells-inspiron-mini-9-pops-official/)

It starts at $349 and comes with an Intel Atom processor, 512MB RAM, 4GB solid-state drive and Ubuntu 8.04 (apparently "with custom Dell interface" - so no Netbook Remix?). Options include upgraded RAM and SSD to 1GB and 8GB respectively, and Windows XP.

jespdj
September 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Yay!! It looks like a very nice netbook, although I think it's on the expensive side compared to other netbooks with similar specs.

On the German website it says its only available in black. And it's not on the Dutch website yet.

Note that the name is "Inspiron Mini" instead of "Inspiron 910" as we thought it was going to be called.

And.... what the F... it comes with Windows XP (according to the German website), not with Ubuntu Netbook Remix ?!?! It looks like they have only one configuration in Germany, with 16 GB solid state memory and Windows XP. WHY ?! :(

LMP900
September 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Really? That's unfortunate. Does Dell offer Ubuntu on their other notebooks and desktops in Germany?

From the Dell U.S. website:

Look for Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with custom Dell interface when customizing your Inspiron Mini 9, or upgrade to Genuine Microsoft Windows XP (emphasis mine).

:rolleyes: Just because the option happens to cost more, it doesn't necessarily mean it's an "upgrade." I'm not trying to be overly critical, but I would have chosen a better word. Perhaps "or choose Genuine Microsoft Windows XP" would have been more appropriate.

jespdj
September 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I've read on a Dutch news website that it will be available here by the end of the year.

There are three models available in the USA, two with Ubuntu and one (the highest-end one) with Windows XP. I hope the Ubuntu versions will become available here in Europe as well - I'm not going to buy a Windows netbook.

teet
September 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
meh...

If you go with a 8 gb ssd (which I figure most people would want), the XP version is only $16 more expensive...because they offer a $40 instant savings (only on the XP version).

-teet

frrobert
September 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
What is interesting is that if you deck the 910 out with 1 gig of Ram and the 16 gig SSD the Ubuntu machine is $464 while the XP machine is only $449.

I certainly don't understand while the machine is the free OS cost more then the machine with the OS that costs.

LMP900
September 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Here's a nice review (that was quick!): http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4578

It includes screenshots of the custom Dell interface for Ubuntu. And for those planning to purchase a Dell Studio 15, XPS M1530 or XPS M1330, the Inspiron Mini 9 is only $99 when combined. This deal runs until September 9.

ARhere
September 6th, 2008, 02:24 AM
What is interesting is that if you deck the 910 out with 1 gig of Ram and the 16 gig SSD the Ubuntu machine is $464 while the XP machine is only $449.

I certainly don't understand while the machine is the free OS cost more then the machine with the OS that costs.

Again, I did the same and the price is equal. I think you are forgetting the camera, which can be removed with the Ubuntu version.

-AR

Eddiep92
September 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
In the UK you can only get the XP model for £299 at the moment, the ubuntu version will be a bit cheaper but it won't trump the acer aspire one for £199, which is a shame really.

I was expecting dell to wow us all seen as it has taken them so long to come into the netbook market, but all they have done is make just another netbook.

gn2
September 7th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I was expecting dell to wow us all seen as it has taken them so long to come into the netbook market, but all they have done is make just another netbook.

You forgot: WOW, no function keys!

kevin11951
September 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
just bought mine:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84654&stc=1&d=1220924922

ARhere
September 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
just bought mine:

Just curious, what are you going to use your webcam for? I have not found much use for my current USB camera in ubuntu yet.

-AR

kevin11951
September 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Just curious, what are you going to use your webcam for? I have not found much use for my current USB camera in ubuntu yet.

-AR

skype type stuff mostly, and funny pictures (and videos) with my friends in cheese!

ARhere
September 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
skype type stuff mostly, and funny pictures (and videos) with my friends in cheese!

Oh yeah... noticed your avatar. :lolflag:

-AR

kevin11951
September 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah... noticed your avatar. :lolflag:

-AR

haha very funny :(

phrostbyte
September 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Something like this will be my next laptop. I heard it's passively cooled too. Very nice.

jabbermacy
September 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Guys,

Waiting (not quite) patiently for my MINI. In the mean time I've been searching around for a desktop video conferencing app for Ubuntu and have come up totally dry! I use ooVoo for windows, but there seems to be no 'real' option for ubuntu!! SO, what the heck good IS the webcam option?? Does ANYBODY have their Ubuntu Mini yet?

Please help!!

kevin11951
September 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Guys,

Waiting (not quite) patiently for my MINI. In the mean time I've been searching around for a desktop video conferencing app for Ubuntu and have come up totally dry! I use ooVoo for windows, but there seems to be no 'real' option for ubuntu!! SO, what the heck good IS the webcam option?? Does ANYBODY have their Ubuntu Mini yet?

Please help!!

Skype? http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Dell Video Chat? http://www.sightspeed.com/dellvideochat
(Dell video chat is only for windows, but comes on the dell mini 9 too)

Hoshnasi
September 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well I put my order in, I went for the base model with the 1gb ram upgrade and the netcam. The cam was a total impulse buy, I don't use any of my cams and my iPhone streams to the net, meh.

Anyways I bought it for writing, internet/bloging. I think the recomendation about keeping it speced low was the right one, can't remember what review said that. But listening to the complaints about the SSD drive is perplexing to me. Stick to keeping it cheap, fast and good on batteries, 80% of the time you are on the go will not really require anything more than 4gb of space. If you have net access, drive space becomes maginally important at all.

Does anyone know why there is a horrendous wait for the Ubuntu models to ship? There are video all over the net of the Ubuntu loaded minis, but the things aren't marked to ship till Oct. 21st. Whats the deal?!

zmjjmz
September 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know why there is a horrendous wait for the Ubuntu models to ship? There are video all over the net of the Ubuntu loaded minis, but the things aren't marked to ship till Oct. 21st. Whats the deal?!

I heard it was backorder.

Hoshnasi
September 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I heard it was backorder.

Funny that I asked this question here. Five minutes after posting a Dell rep called me to confirm my order -something Dell has never done for my orders. I asked "Whats the deal with the postponed delivery?" The agent told me that since its a new OS, Dell doesn't want to overextend itself in being able to provide to customers. So they gave a big lead time. My follow up question "Does that mean my mini is likely to ship before then?", she replied "Yes, traditionally. We beat out ship date by alot."

zmjjmz
September 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
That makes no sense.
Dell already ships Ubuntu.

Hoshnasi
September 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM
That makes no sense.
Dell already ships Ubuntu.

I'm just reporting on the info I receive. I think that Dell and Microsoft had a deal struck up where Dell holds back Linux on the release to give Microsoft more business for those who don't want to wait.

Thats personal opinion though.

ARhere
September 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I am looking for my tin foil hat again...

-AR