PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Desktop folder items not on desktop

skintythe1andonly
August 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi I recently installed the kubuntu 8.04 with kde4, and upgraded to kde4.1. Since then anything i have saved in my desktop folder is not shown on the desktop. I cannot paste to the desktop. My widgets are present on the dektop but nothing else. I have checked the user-dirs.dirs file in the .config folder where it says XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop" so im guessing that is ok. I also have /home/skint/Desktop/ down as the desktop path in "About me" under system settings. I think it may be a Dolphin issue, as what ever folder i change this desktop path too appears as an unknown file in Dolphin yet you can still access it like regular folder. There is files in the folder, they just dont appear on my desktop.

If run kdesktop the desktop resorts back to a kde3.5 screen but the files are shown, am i missing the equivalent kde4.1 package??

TheUnabeefer
August 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
In KDE4, the Desktop directory can be shown in a plasmoid (widget) called Folder View. This also allows you to view any other selected folder instead of just the Desktop folder...

This subject ALSO causes FAR too many arguments, as a lot of people don't like this way of doing things.

skintythe1andonly
August 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks, sorry for the silly question. I liked kde4 until this, A folder view widget is unnecessary in my opinion

Ubuntiac
August 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
I have three folders I access constantly throughout the day that I need to know wehen their content changes, so folderview is a godsend for me as I could only see one easily before.

To me the only real mistake they made is not having a large, very transparent folderview showing desktop icons on the desktop by default. People aren't angered by the extra freedoms of folderview, just by having something "not work" and then finding out it's by design.

Still, apparently Aaron is already hacking on the ability to have folderview more closely mimic what people are used to, and I bet that they'll change the defaults after all this fuss, so I suspect that after 4.2 this will all be a bit of a moot point.

Can't have a revolution without breaking a few eggs, eh? ;)

TheUnabeefer
August 22nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
I have three folders I access constantly throughout the day that I need to know wehen their content changes, so folderview is a godsend for me as I could only see one easily before.

To me the only real mistake they made is not having a large, very transparent folderview showing desktop icons on the desktop by default. People aren't angered by the extra freedoms of folderview, just by having something "not work" and then finding out it's by design.

Still, apparently Aaron is already hacking on the ability to have folderview more closely mimic what people are used to, and I bet that they'll change the defaults after all this fuss, so I suspect that after 4.2 this will all be a bit of a moot point.

Can't have a revolution without breaking a few eggs, eh? ;)

AFAIK, one of the options for the Folder View widget will be to make it fill the entire desktop layer, so it would appear much like it used to, with one folder's contents on the desktop...

It all comes down to preference, and even though I always hated having icons all over my desktop and removed them all asap, I still agree that it should be an option...

I am pretty sure it will be "desktopable" in 4.2