PDA

View Full Version : Which email client, Thunderbird, Evolution, etc?

legolas_w
August 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi there,
I am just conducting a poll about email client that Ubuntu users are using in daily tasks.
Please let us know whether the client that you use has integrated calendar, desktop integration, google calendar integration, capability to be synchronized with hand held devices...
PS, If I have not included the client that you use, please let me know and I will add it to the poll
Thanks.

NWAdawg
August 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I use Thunderbird. Don't use any integrated calendars or desktop integration. Just basic email.

y6FgBn)~v
August 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thunderbird here with Lightning extension for calender.

adam_kimber
August 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I use thunderbird. Would use the integrated calander but that has not worked since I upgraded to Hardy.

Zeotronic
August 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I use Thunderbird with the WebMail add-on so I can access my Yahoo mail (by the way, if anyone knows of another email service which is any good, could you please send me a PM? I cant for the life of me find one, despite my best efforts).

Canis familiaris
August 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I use Opera Mail. I love the fact that I recieve the E-Mail message immediately when it arrives when surfing the net with Opera.

wyliecoyoteuk
August 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thunderbird at home, Evo at work for Exchange connector

mali2297
August 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Alpine.

It has none of "integrated calendar, desktop integration, google calendar integration, capability to be synchronized with hand held devices", but you can view and send emails.

Kvark
August 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I currently use Kmail (which isn't in the list) at home because it's KDE's default and webmail from other computers. It's okay but Claws Mail (which isn't in the list either) is best so I'll switch back to that soon.

Depressed Man
August 20th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I use Thunderbird with the webmail extensions to check my Yahoo and Hotmail addresses.

linuxguymarshall
August 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thunderbird with Lightning. I originally started using it because it was Mozilla and the key feature, easy gmail setup. I dont mind typing imap.gmail.com but this saved me and extra 15 seconds to set up all the server info

DJ_Peng
August 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Used to use Tbird but switched to Evolution for email and RSS to get better support for my PDA, especially for my calendar, notes and ToDo. While there are still some glitches I can't believe it took me so long to give GNOME's email client a try. I'm about 95% satisfied, wishing only I could do better sharing between Evo and my gCal. (It reads but can't write. Yet.)

Evo's calendcar integrates into my panel clock, but I usually just use either the calendar in Evo or in my PDA (Sony Clie T615C).

oldsoundguy
August 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thunderbird with Lightning calender (on Gutsy machine AND on 2 Windows machines.

bfc
August 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Using mutt with gmail using imap. I've tried thunderbird, evolution, kmail, etc. But keep coming back to mutt.

legolas_w
August 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for your posts.
how I can add new items to the poll?

Thanks.

shifty2
August 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Mutt - is there any real alternative?

However at work I use thunderbird just because it doesn't freak people out quite so much.

AndyCooll
August 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I suppose my email client would be Firefox since I use GMail. Before that I used to use Evolution.

:cool:

Sealbhach
August 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Thunderbird - for it picks up my Yahoo Mail for me.

gn2
August 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
I don't use e-mail software, I use free webmail exclusively.

herbster
August 21st, 2008, 12:36 AM
Gmail in Firefox for all three accounts, it really rendered Evolution/Thunderbird/etc. unnecessary for me.

Corfy
August 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolution which allows me to sync with my Palm Treo. Before that, I used Thunderbird, and still use Thunderbird on my Windows computer at work to check my personal mail.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
August 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Evolution. It integrates best with the Gnome desktop and it has all the tools I need - Calendar, To Do, and Contact list. I used to use Thunderbird - but Evolution feels more natural to me. it works with my web mail account (Gmail) and just has been greatly improved since I tried it 5 years ago.

Love it.

nycste
August 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
maybe someone could give quick advice

i use thunderbird, i have 2 computers

how do i setup thunderbird and gmail to well keep the same files on both computers like auto sync both main computer and laptop to download all emails today based on whats on the actual gmail site?

for example lets say today i got 5 emails
email1
email2
email3
email4
email5

now with my main machine i opened in morning and got email1-3

then at work i got email4-5 but didnt download 1-3... how do i make it so that thunderbird downloads all 5 daily everytime? soo that both my main machine and laptop have all the possible emails from everyday so i dont have to copy and paste all my files daily back and fourth?

thanks hope that made sense to someone

trash
August 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Opera cuz it's always open and it handles all of my email accounts(5)

bfc
August 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM

how do i setup thunderbird and gmail to well keep the same files on both computers like auto sync both main computer and laptop to download all emails today based on whats on the actual gmail site?

email1
email2
email3
email4
email5

then at work i got email4-5 but didnt download 1-3... how do i make it so that thunderbird downloads all 5 daily everytime? soo that both my main machine and laptop have all the possible emails from everyday so i dont have to copy and paste all my files daily back and fourth?

Configure both gmail and thunderbird to use imap. That should do what you want.

oldsoundguy
August 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM

email1
email2
email3
email4
email5

Set up a second eMail account and forward the mail you wish to save to that account. NEVER use that account on line or give it out and it will be virtually spam free provided your eMail server is on the ball!

pluviosity
August 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM
I use the wonderful Kmail. I find its interface to be a bit cleaner than that of Thunderbird and Evolution, and it's more responsive for me as well. So no vote for me in this poll.

nycste
August 21st, 2008, 05:25 AM
Configure both gmail and thunderbird to use imap. That should do what you want.

im looking into this option thanks

Set up a second eMail account and forward the mail you wish to save to that account. NEVER use that account on line or give it out and it will be virtually spam free provided your eMail server is on the ball!

not fully sure what your saying but i think i have an idea, its still not a great solution i think when both pcs might not be near each other for weeks at a time, but ill checkoutthis option sometime too

oldsoundguy
August 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have several accounts and when away from home I use a free service:
mail2web
It leaves your mail ON your various servers until you can get to your control computer to process. (but you CAN delete if you so choose .. get rid of the junk, leave the good stuff on your servers.

But IF I need to save that mail on the server, I can still send it to another eMail addy I have to act on it if need be.

ben2talk
August 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi there,
I am just conducting a poll about email client that Ubuntu users are using in daily tasks.
Please let us know whether the client that you use has integrated calendar, desktop integration, google calendar integration, capability to be synchronized with hand held devices...
PS, If I have not included the client that you use, please let me know and I will add it to the poll
Thanks.

I like Thunderbird because -with the aid of a few add-on servers, I am able to use it to view my Hotmail and Yahoo mail, as well as my private Gmail account. (I use Hotmail and Yahoo mail for less serious, or less secure purposes - registering at websites etc. With Yahoo mail, I am constantly aware that I must always keep my archived emails/addressbook on my computer, because I have had TWO friends who had their accounts closed down).

I don't use my computer at work, during the daytime, and always set my appointments and calendar in my phone - it can be turned off without fear of missing anything.

timzak
August 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've used Thunderbird for many years. When I installed Hardy, I decided to give Evolution a shot. I tried real hard for 4 months to like Evolution, but there were just too many problems I could not get past. See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894916

I just switched back to Thunderbird a week ago.

fwojciec
August 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I suppose my email client would be Firefox since I use GMail. Before that I used to use Evolution.

:cool:

That's the way to go! Gmail does so many things just right. It's awesome to be able to google-search through all your mails, plus the "conversation" method Gmail uses to group related emails is great for keeping things organized and under control (especially if you subscribe to many mailing lists). Locally installed email clients are so last century ;)

y-lee
August 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I used to use Thunderbird in windows but upon switching to Ubuntu I decided to give Evolution a try since it was already present and integrated into the gnome desktop. It is not Thunderbird but i like it well enough. meets my needs. :)

hufferd
August 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hi there,
Thanks.

Evolution but looking at others

Nailhac
August 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I use thunderbird linked to lightning

Skorzen
August 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
My favourite ones are Thunderbird and Evolution, but the one I'm currently using is Thunderbird. It's heavier but it has a lot of interesting add-ons.

By the way, seems like Mozilla stopped developing it, no?

Corfy
August 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM
By the way, seems like Mozilla stopped developing it, no?

No. They are working on Thunderbird 3.0 and hope to have it released soon. It is currently at 3.0a2

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/news/stories/2008-08-13-01

ooobuntooo
August 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
No. They are working on Thunderbird 3.0 and hope to have it released soon. It is currently at 3.0a2

Sweet!

Skorzen
August 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM

That's great. Thanks, mate.

centyx
September 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
mutt ftw.

tigerplug
September 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thunderbird = Excellent

david_lynch
September 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I use thunderbird, as I have dozens of mail folders and thunderbird has good searching and sorting capabilities. The add-ons (lightning calendar, mail redirect, enigmail, mnenhy) are cool, and I appreciate that the data is in a standard mbox format - I can grep through my thunderbird mail folders with standard unix command line tools to search for specific words and find specific messages.

I've used evolution, claws, kmail, operamail etc, but I prefer thunderbird.

swisscow
September 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Claws mail. So fast makes thunderbird look like a snail

anotherdisciple
September 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I like thunderbird and just about anything by mozilla.

PS- legolas_w... try not to thank everyone who has anything to say... lol... save it for the people who help you or tell you something you didn't know before.

andrek
September 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
None. I've set up my Gmail to check my other accounts. It does it well.
Therefore, I'm using firefox with the Gmail Notifier add-on.

Trail
September 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
None. Kmail.

userundefine
September 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thunderbird + Gmail IMAP + Lightning + Google Calendar

L8erG8er
September 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm currently using Evolution, but like so many others, I'm finding flaws in it that are quickly turning me away.

1. There's a bug in the address book, where it displays two lines of "home number" if you put one in.

2. Evolution stalls and must be forced to quit if it has been active for a while.

3. The address book is not user friendly when trying to import or export. It doesn't seem to match any typical industry formats. For example, you must choose carefully the format to export in, if exporting from Thunderbird to Evolution. Evolution will only accept one format in this case.

I would really like to use Evolution, but it is still too buggy. It's a shame because it is fully integrated into the Gnome desktop.

nsleiman
September 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
What are the webmails you talked about?