PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 64: Slow to install, slow to boot, slow to run

redjam
August 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Hello =]

I bought a new desktop PC as below.

Spec of the new machine:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-085-OK

Details of barebones:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-053-AS

So AMD64 dual 3GHz with 4GB RAM etc.

Anyway I got it the other day and tried to install Ubuntu 64.

Failed with the Live CD because of graphics problem.
Successfully installed with alternative CD even though it took several hours to complete.
Installed NVIDIA drivers after some effort.

Immediately noticed there was a problem when it took a good bit longer than usual (i.e. than when using my old laptop, which works flawlessly with the 32bit version) to boot up. Even the login screen sort of flickered, taking a while to display. I messed about with it for a while, installing programs etc. Rebooted a few times in the hope that it would somehow sort itself out. It didn't. For example, when I try to launch Firefox it would take a good 10 seconds to launch as opposed to the <2 seconds previously. And everything is generally just really jittery, slow and painful :confused:

(The Ubuntu install CD was checked and is fine.)

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm an impoverished student so I would rather avoid the expense and the stress of trying to return the new machine... Or keeping it and having to go back to using Windows :(

All advice welcomed. Thanks for reading.

redjam
August 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM
:cry:

Sef
August 21st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping your thread. Threads are sometimes answered fast and at other times rather slow. If you desire a more immediate answer, then use irc. If you don't have one downloaded, then Applications > Add/Remove > Search: XChat > click on XChat-GNOME IRC Chat > apply > apply changes > close

redjam
August 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
My apologies for that and thanks for your advice.

tuxxy
August 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
I have a similar system running 64bit fine, the only thing I can think of that is different is I dont use an ASUS board.

DO other OS's run fine on the same computer or have you not tried?

redjam
August 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have a similar system running 64bit fine, the only thing I can think of that is different is I dont use an ASUS board.

DO other OS's run fine on the same computer or have you not tried?

Cheers for the reply. I tried XP Pro and it seemed to work pretty well :\

redjam
August 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Ok, I have tried installing all the updates - no change.
Tried removing Compiz - no change.
Have tried numerous changes to the menu.lst file - no change.

It's not one thing hogging the CPU - everything that runs, it seems, takes an unrealistic amount of processor power. Moving the mouse seems to get it goin!

So given the lack of responses, am I to take it that I am doomed to having a machine that just won't run Ubuntu properly? =[

redjam
August 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Last bump... Anyone have anything to add?

gatenby_jp
August 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Try the normal 32 bit install instead of 64 bit ... I find there is a general lack of drivers for 64 bit ... both MS and Linux

DeMus
August 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Last bump... Anyone have anything to add?

I also have an ASUS motherboard, but one with a Intel Quad-core Q6600 processor. Also with 4GB ram and an nVidia graphics card, 8500GT. I don't have any problems here, it all runs fine. I installed the 64 bits version straight from the CD, added some extra software, update whenever there are updates, that's it.

One thing I could think of is the fact you are using an AMD processor. My last PC also had one, K6-3400, 64bits and I have never been a fan of this so I came back to Intel.

I'm sure you have done this before but maybe trying to re-install with a fresh install might help. Make sure the disks are completely empty before you start so nothing from an older installation keeps bugging you.
Success

DeMus