PDA

View Full Version : I want to start making money as a Freelance PC Technician. Any ideas how to start?

ddixonr
August 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
While I'm still obtaining my degree, I'd like to start putting my name out there for jobs diagnosing PCs. I don't have a lot of experience in Linux, but I can troubleshoot a Windows machine like nobody's business. Anybody out there have any thoughts how to begin. I thought about making some business cards and handing them out to friends, family, and past co-workers. My ideas pretty much end there. Thanks.

billgoldberg
August 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM
While I'm still obtaining my degree, I'd like to start putting my name out there for jobs diagnosing PCs. I don't have a lot of experience in Linux, but I can troubleshoot a Windows machine like nobody's business. Anybody out there have any thoughts how to begin. I thought about making some business cards and handing them out to friends, family, and past co-workers. My ideas pretty much end there. Thanks.

A good place to start.

Also put some flyers in local businesses, stick some to boards in colleges, ...

Put yourself in the yellow pages and other phone books.

Put advertisements in local papers.

Maybe even a radio add on the local station.

A website would also be a good idea, but don't just count on a website to get customers.

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
If you have any type of webspace (like Facebook, a blog, etc), or know someone who does, just shamelessly self promote yourself. Handing out cards works too, and getting friends/family to recommend you to people they know works. Also, if you belong to any organizations (church, volunteer orgs, etc) they can be a great place to become 'known'. These are the things I do.

ddixonr
August 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys. I have a website that I host myself (pretty proud of that fact), so I might start there. I'll start with the ideas you posted that require little to no money first.

One last question: What effect will not having a degree or a business license have on this approach?

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Depends. I have a degree (B.Sc. in IT Management) and that gives me a certain credibility. I also know people who have "IT" degrees and are completely useless. It depends on what you really know and how you apply it.

I have no "business license". I would need a license if I set up a storefront, and have to register for a GST number (a Canadian tax that businesses have to collect if they make over $30,000/year), but neither of these apply to me...yet.

Basically, I would find out what the regulations are where you live, then do the appropriate thing(s).