PDA

View Full Version : [other] running gnome-applets outside gnome

apfergus
August 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM
In a fit of summer boredom I decided to install Fluxbox on my laptop running Hardy. Turns out, I really like it with one small exception. While I can find numerous places on the internet eager to tell me how to make my Fluxbox desktop look amazing I cannot find a single one that will tell me how to do what I want to do.

I've managed to run the gnome wireless internet connection applet (nm-applet) at startup, but I'm still missing applets like volume control, laptop battery monitor, and the ability to put the computer in hibernate, restart, or shutdown without first exiting to the login screen.

My hypothesis is that since I can run the one gnome applet, that I could probably run at least some of the others if only I had some way of knowing what they're called. My search-fu must be extraordinarily weak because I cannot find a single list of default gnome-applets, which seems like it should at least be available somewhere.

So if I could be directed toward a resource that will tell me how to get any of these things working in Fluxbox, whether it be through using the gnome applets already installed on my system or not, I'd really appreciate it.

CarlosNYB
August 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'll let you know what I come up with a little later -- busy today...

CarlosNYB
August 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
First of all check synapse to see what you find under dock apps or applets.

You might want to see if there is a Dock App that does the job from dockapps.org. Fluxbox is supposed to work well with dockapps.

http://dockapps.org/ (http://dockapps.org)

If you can't find what you want there, you can try Gnome files and see if the applets can be added just as they are with the network manager, in the startup file, although I'd want to stay away from too many gnome or other applets in fluxbox, myself.

http://www.gnomefiles.org/

I'd use these files to see what's available and then look in synaptic because repositories are a good thing.

apfergus
August 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
You might want to see if there is a Dock App that does the job from dockapps.org. Fluxbox is supposed to work well with dockapps.

I've tried several dockapps and suspect from the results that I have no idea what I'm doing. All of the dockapps I've tried take the form of large, usually ugly, boxes which appear centered on the bottom of my desktop such that the Fluxbox slit will pop up and cover them should I move the cursor down to use them. Also, if I run more than one they all appear in the same place and cover each other up so I can only see one. As far as I can tell there is no way of moving them.

Ultimately what I'd like is something that just sits in the Fluxbox slit like the network manager does or like pidgin or liferea do when minimized, but if I can find an attractive looking dockapp I'll use it so long as I can put it in some location where it isn't incredibly obnoxious.

CarlosNYB
August 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM
I'm hoping someone enlightens us, because what I'm getting is a largish box, not a docked app(let) on the task bar.

CarlosNYB
August 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Also search this page for applets

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gnome/

ans5685
August 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I've tried several dockapps and suspect from the results that I have no idea what I'm doing. All of the dockapps I've tried take the form of large, usually ugly, boxes which appear centered on the bottom of my desktop such that the Fluxbox slit will pop up and cover them should I move the cursor down to use them. Also, if I run more than one they all appear in the same place and cover each other up so I can only see one. As far as I can tell there is no way of moving them.

Ultimately what I'd like is something that just sits in the Fluxbox slit like the network manager does or like pidgin or liferea do when minimized, but if I can find an attractive looking dockapp I'll use it so long as I can put it in some location where it isn't incredibly obnoxious.

Hmmm... Fluxbox gives you two things except the desktop
1. The Taskbar-pager-system tray-clock 'bar' and
2. The slit.
So the taskbar is NOT the slit :)
And all Dockapps go into the SLIT and not The Taskbar-pager-system tray-clock .
If you want the dockapps to be at any particular part of the desktop then right click on the pager part of the Taskbar-pager-system tray-clock and navigate to slit and placement and you can put it in ANY edge of the screen. What more you can auto-hide it or if you want, make it so that other apps can cover it.What more you should choose the orientation i.e. horizontal/vertical so that you don't have dockapps covering each other.:guitar:

maniheer
August 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I think you got nm-applet working because it goes in the system tray.

I hope I'm wrong :)

apfergus
August 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
And all Dockapps go into the SLIT and not The Taskbar-pager-system tray-clock .
If you want the dockapps to be at any particular part of the desktop then right click on the pager part of the Taskbar-pager-system tray-clock and navigate to slit and placement and you can put it in ANY edge of the screen. What more you can auto-hide it or if you want, make it so that other apps can cover it.What more you should choose the orientation i.e. horizontal/vertical so that you don't have dockapps covering each other.

Ahh. When I was reading through the fluxbox documentation it kept hammering on the fact that the slit was not the toolbar, so I kind of stupidly assumed that this meant the thing I thought should be called the tool bar must not be. Thanks for correcting me.

Equipped with this knowledge, I have moved the slit to some more friendly part of my desktop (upper left corner) and installed wmix for volume control. I've got Conky running and displaying battery status in a way that is functional but not too attractive (I'm working on it), so I think I've nearly got everything I want at this point.

spupy
August 31st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Start gnome-power-manager for a battery icon in the tray. You can click it and it can put your computer to sleep/hibernate.

CarlosNYB
August 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Is that a dragon-ball-z smiley?

EnGorDiaz
August 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM
what kind of apps are you trying to run just dock apps cus that site is as good as it gets