PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Help with KDE 4.1? Multi-desktops, Adept, and KDE help center don't

jai_mantravadi
August 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks to anyone who reads, and double to anyone who is willing to help.
I just "upgraded" to KDE 4.1 (but I have the trusty KDE 3.5.9 in case I need it), and I like it in general, however, I'm having trouble with some basic things. (I'm running Compiz if that has any effect)

1) I can't seem to get more than 2 desktops. When I go to "configure desktops" under either the right click in pager, or under KDE control panel (kcontrol), it ignores me, and doesn't add any more desktops. Is there a possibility that some of my window decorations/desktop effects are responsible?

2) I couldn't find system settings on the menu in either the K application launcher, or the K menu widget. I went and added it in under Settings using Kmenu (where it shows up in 4.1), but why does it still show up in KDE 3.5.9 under the root menu, but not in KDE 4.1?

3) KDE help center doesn't give me anything useful. I tried to search, and I get an error that there are no documents. I thought there'd be a simple "docs" package or something to add, but apparently not. I can browse the menu tree (most help items are missing, even though the top-level outline is still browseable).

Any help is much appreciated, maybe I'm just stupid or something happened when I went and upgraded. None of these are killer issues, but when I search google for documentation, all I get are items of how to install KDE 4.1 on ubuntu or links to Download SuSE.
Thanks again!
Jai

Update: Adept is not the same as Add/remove programs (I never used that menu item in KDE3, I just clicked the quicklaunch icon). Apparently the "add-remove programs" under the main Kmenu in KDE 4 is not the same as Adept under settings. i.e. adept_installer is not the same as adept_manager.

carolinason
August 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Multiple desktops - configure desktops works for me, tryin disabling compiz and see is if it works. Otherwise it's probably a setting in compiz.

System Setting should be in the application launcher plasmoid. If it isn't search for it in the search tool at the top of the AL. Or replace application launcher plasmoid.

Help is incomplete at best.

Adapt is funky, i'm using synaptic, it does add some gtk, but no to much. Also try aptitude from the command line, very nice. It was not installed by defualt in Kubuntu 8.10, I had to add it.

jai_mantravadi
August 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the help and the response! I'll try disabling compiz and see if that's it and post back.