PDA

View Full Version : How Far Has the earth travelled since you were born?

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Born 04/07/1988

The earth had travlled (To this date 20/08/2008)

Approximately 2.96 Billion Miles
Approximately 4.67 Trillion Meters

Time to geek it up

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
It is all relative so such distance is impossible to measure.

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I know I know, ughhhh I should have known better...

Ok assuming the earth is a point at 1AU from the sun that travels in a perfect circle around the sun over the course of a year (can include leap years - I have)

This is hardly a post on the edge of scientific progress - just saw a post with someone wanting to work out their age in seconds and then did this to the nearest day.

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Also ignoring the progress of the sun through the galaxy and the galaxy through the universe etc

i.e. in the suns reference frame

kaboodle_fish
August 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
The earth has moved?!

So many jokes, so little time...

Archmage
August 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
It did travel over 10 light years. The universe is expanding my son.

But I think at the time I was born the earth was at my feet. I think this hasn't changed, has it?

vikramaditya
August 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Actually? Backwards...:(

DrMega
August 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I was once worried that the earthed had moved, so I asked my wife and she reassured me it hadn't.

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I was once worried that the earthed had moved, so I asked my wife and she reassured me it hadn't.

It was right were you left it, don't worry.

swoll1980
August 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I know I know, ughhhh I should have known better...

Ok assuming the earth is a point at 1AU from the sun that travels in a perfect circle around the sun over the course of a year (can include leap years - I have)

This is hardly a post on the edge of scientific progress - just saw a post with someone wanting to work out their age in seconds and then did this to the nearest day.

The earth doesn't travel in a perfect circle. It's orbit is elliptical.

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
It did travel over 10 light years. The universe is expanding my son.

But I think at the time I was born the earth was at my feet. I think this hasn't changed, has it?

1ly = 9.46 x10 ^15 meters

that is more than 4.6 x 10^12

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Lols, this is fairly amusing

A lot of people think science is all about fact. Well, we start our theories with approximations, simplifications. All you learn in school and any degree course yields approximate answers.

Further on, all highly developed theories are not necessarily fact. They are only ideas that we believe to be "more" or "less" likely to be correct. And will always to a certain degree of accuracy, be approximations.

In short it doesnt matter how many corrections you post here for a problem which is less than trivial.

panickedthumb
August 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
everyone knows that the Earth is stationary and everything in the universe revolves around it. geez.

chucky chuckaluck
August 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
it hasn't travelled far, but it's come a long way. i like to think i had something to do with that.

fiddledd
August 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
No matter how far it's travelled it's pretty much going round in circles, which I guess you could say sums up Human history. :)

DrMega
August 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
No matter how far it's travelled it's pretty much going round in circles, which I guess you could say sums up Human history. :)

What goes around comes around.