PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider Drupal to be "amateur" ?

diablo75
August 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've recently encountered a web developer who is starting up his own company that will focus on selling a content management framework of his own proprietary design, casting Joomla and Drupal aside as being "amateur" (in writing on his own website). No really! He's made a content framework from scratch (I've seen how it works from the inside) and he actually has the balls to say it's better than an open-source project with a couple thousand developers behind it. Have you ever met anyone like this?

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I've recently encountered a web developer who is starting up his own company that will focus on selling a content management framework of his own proprietary design, casting Joomla and Drupal aside as being "amateur" (in writing on his own website).
Big claims. We had someone on this forum say they were going to buy Novell (never happened)

No really! He's made a content framework from scratch (I've seen how it works from the inside) and he actually has the balls to say it's better than an open-source project with a couple thousand developers behind it. Have you ever met anyone like this?

Yes, see above mentioned person ;)

Is it better or any good?

mcduck
August 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It's not professional to re-invent the wheel. At least not when doing so would considerably increase the time and expenses in your projects, and most likely also result in even more vulnerabilities than what the well-tested and commonly used CMS systems have. :D

If he really is very good web developer, he should help with some open-source CMS project to make it better. That would save him from a lot of useless work, and give both him and everybody else a better CMS..

(I'm a multimedia professional, and sure, if some of my projects requires a CMS I rather take an existing and well tested one and spend more time working with the actual design & content than start building a custom CMS out of nothing.)

rune0077
August 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've recently encountered a web developer who is starting up his own company that will focus on selling a content management framework of his own proprietary design, casting Joomla and Drupal aside as being "amateur" (in writing on his own website). No really! He's made a content framework from scratch (I've seen how it works from the inside) and he actually has the balls to say it's better than an open-source project with a couple thousand developers behind it. Have you ever met anyone like this?

Too many chefs spoils the food. A few thousand developers behind a single project needn't be a good thing. However, if somebody is claiming that his own product is better than product [insert name here], then you should probably not take it to serious until you've gotten some 3rd party opinions first.

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Too many chefs spoils the food. A few thousand developers behind a single project needn't be a good thing.

Linux?

rune0077
August 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Linux?

I said it "needn't be" a good thing. Sometimes a small group of people collaborating towards a goal can give you much better results than thousands of people trying to do the same (it's easier to collaborate if you are fewer, and you won't have so many conflicting ideas and interests).

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I said it "needn't be" a good thing. Sometimes a small group of people collaborating towards a goal can give you much better results than thousands of people trying to do the same (it's easier to collaborate if you are fewer, and you won't have so many conflicting ideas and interests).

The kernel is controlled by only a few, but anyone can contribute. The best of both worlds.

Tomosaur
August 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Well I'm using Joomla to build a website for a business, and I wouldn't say it's Amatuer. In fact it's pretty damn slick. Besides, the CMS itself doesn't really matter. It's what you do with it that counts!