PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual monitors and multiple desks

Robbyx
August 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I would like to keep the contents of my left screen stable and have the virtual desks apply only to the right screen. This way I can have the left screen always show the same content but the right can change according to the virtual desk used.

Is that possible?

Robin

Robbyx
August 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
In case others would like to know a possible solution to this problem here is a link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-522523.html

In it there is the following:

Well I started thinking about what features would make using dual monitors, functionally much easier.

1) Separate window lists. Right now I have a window list displayed at the bottom of one monitor, despite it containing all the information about windows on the current desktop for both monitors. It would be much easier to look for the application I want to switch to if separate window lists were maintained, dependent on which monitor they (primarily) are on.

You can already do that, at least in Gnome. Just create a new panel, drag it over to the other monitor, and add a window list. It'll automatically take over for the windows on that monitor, and any window of which more than half is on a particular monitor will appear on that monitors window list.

The above looks like the easiest way to achieve what I want. I think he is advising that separate lists can be maintained for each screen. If that is the case how do I create a new panel?

Robin