PDA

View Full Version : Komodo or Aptana?

L815
August 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
For php/xhtml/css/javascript which is better in your opinion?

mike_g
August 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
For me, any editor that is not aptana would do fine.

loell
August 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
well openkomodo is certainly much more lighter than aptana.

but aptana has a debugger right? which openkomodo doesn't.

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Komodo is nice that it supports bunch of other languages too. So right answer depends what are your other goals.

Personally me I use SciTE to edit simple files like CSS, HTML. It has syntax highlighting for anything you can ever imagine, is lightweight and works same on Linux and Windows. It has right mix of basic features and sprinkling of advanced.

If you are serious about investing time to learn editor, you may as well bite a bullet and take a side in vim/emacs wars.

It all depends what you expect from learning editor, where are you now, and where you want to go.

BTW I never used aptana and don't think I will ever have a reason to learn it. :-)

skeeterbug
August 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Aptana is Eclipse based, so you can install any Eclipse plug-in with it. I have PyDev and RadRails for development. Their HTML and CSS editors are very nice (There is also FTP sync and SVN support). PyDev and RadRails give me syntax highlighting and code complete for their respective languages. The IDE itself takes up less than 200MB of ram for me. The performance is good and the memory footprint is much lower than what I am used to (Visual Studio 2005), so I am a happy camper.

I have worked with Komodo very little. It seems like it is very lightweight when compared to Aptana. I don't know if it has all of Aptana's bells and whistles. That might be irrelevant if you don't need them.

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Aptana is Eclipse based,

so it's huge full-featured Java-based IDE (with resulting big footprint).

But Eclipse as IDE is great for a free IDE, even if I liked more IntelliJ IDEA, but I am not ready to pay for it. I may reconsider next time my paid MyEclipse plugin will be due for renewal.

So question is: are you looking for big full-featured IDE, and are ready to invest the time it may take to learn it?

skeeterbug
August 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
so it's huge full-featured Java-based IDE (with resulting big footprint).

Big is relative if he has a nice development machine with tons of memory. ;)

rharriso
August 27th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Well It really depends on what your doing. If your working on files over ftp, which for php and HTML is very likely, its easily aptana with the built in ftp client.

If your working on files locally its Komodo. It provides code hint with classes defined on other files. This is really helpful when developing with open source api files. Like facebook.

loell
August 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
If your working on files locally its Komodo.

if i'm not mistaken komodo ca also work remotely.