PDA

View Full Version : Why will some Web sites will not work with GNU/Linux (Ubuntu)?

FastMady123
August 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Why will some Web sites will not work with GNU/Linux (Ubuntu)? On this Web site, http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html. It only supports Windows 2003, XP, Vista (and later), and Mac OS X 10.4.8 or greater, (Intel only) with Internet Explorer and Firefox only. I really want to watch streaming video of the Olympics on NBC Online but it doesn't not support GNU/Linux (Ubuntu), the OS I'm using right now due to Windows XP not working. It doesn't support free software except Firefox. They should use YouTube-like technology that uses flash but supports all OS. What do they do that? What should I do to persuade them to support free software (GNU/Linux) (Ubuntu)?

robert shearer
August 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
do this...... Applications=>Add Remove=>Internet and scroll down to find User Agent Switcher. ( It is an add on for firefox.)
Select it's check box then apply changes and it will be installed.

Restart firefox and select Tools from the top menu.

Tools=>User Agent Switcher=>IE7(vista) check it's box.
Then browse to the website you want to view.

pansz
August 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM
The main reason is that the beijing olympic video is NOT free. They are using a model that require some authentication before you can visit the video.

Another reason: there are lots of windows and mac developers in china and it would very cheap to hire a windows programmer, while the salary for a linux programmer is much higher than that of windows programmer. ——for some reason they would only hire windows programmers in oreder to reduce the cost.

aysiu
August 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
NBC Olympics...

Ever heard of MSNBC?

kernelhaxor
August 20th, 2008, 06:36 AM
u cant watch the olympics on nbc.com coz Silverlight doesnt support Linux (yet?) ..

Speaking in general about websites, Linux desktop community being very small tends to get neglected by most websites ..

cardinals_fan
August 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Another reason: there are lots of windows and mac developers in china and it would very cheap to hire a windows programmer, while the salary for a linux programmer is much higher than that of windows programmer. ——for some reason they would only hire windows programmers in oreder to reduce the cost.
Eh? What does China have to do with anything? This is the American station NBC - China's Olympics coverage is on China Central Television.

jgrabham
August 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
You can't watch the Olympics on nbc.com because Silverlight doesn't support Linux yet?) ..

Speaking in general about websites, Linux desktop community being very small tends to get neglected by most websites ..

It's silverlight?

Never been on nbc.com in my life, so wouldn't know. And 'yet' - I think the day MS make Silverlight work on Linux is the day hell freezes over.

And - pansz - I wouldn't have thought they'd outsource it to china, I believe MOST programmers tend to live in the west, call centre and factory jobs can be outsourced, programming can't really due to the lack of people educated to do the jobs in countries where jobs are outsourced to.

Barrucadu
August 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I thought Silverlight did work on Linux - ever heard of Moonlight?

crazyness003
August 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
NBC Olympics...

Ever heard of MSNBC?

AAAaaaand :popcorn:

Theres your answer.
As for silverlight - what a lame attempt to get into web 2.0 scripting (or whatever). Its so MS to deviate and split the population even more, than to just continue
using a known technology and try to make it better...sheesh. Now you need ANOTHER plugin just to use a total of what? you guessed it 3 additional websites (so far).
Lame.
Someone, correct me. quick!