PDA

View Full Version : Which office suite do you use?

Shippou
August 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hello.. I am again posting a poll as I need public opinion... :)

Which office suite do you use currently or are recommended of using?

I am planning to switch away from OpenOffice.

Please also provide reasons for your choice.

EDIT: What I mean by an office suite is the whole suite, not the components. If I am right about this, then AbiWord is not included.

meanburrito920
August 20th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I use open office but abiword is great also. boots up incredibly quick.

OutOfReach
August 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I like OpenOffice, especially the new OpenOffice 3.0 Beta2. It is really nice and suites my needs, but I use AbiWord for word processing.

Twitch6000
August 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Only other Office software that are free and/or open source that I know about would be Koffice,Neo Office,and well Open Office.
Other Then that you Got Tools Like AbiWord.

cardinals_fan
August 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Kword is the best word processor (though I do most of my writing in Vim), Gnumeric is a fine spreadsheet, and I use Zoho Office (online) for presentations.

brunovecchi
August 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I do not use office suites, I rather choose my favourite application for each task...

Documents:

Quick and dirty, but needs some format: Abiword
Serious stuff, has to look good and professional: LaTeX

Spreadsheets: Gnumeric
Presentations: Beamer class (LaTeX).

Mateo
August 20th, 2008, 05:05 AM
AbiWord is part of Gnome Office. Most of the Gnome Office apps are better than the Oo.org counterparts with Abiword being one of the exceptions. Gnumeric is 10x better than Calc.

NWAdawg
August 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I use Openoffice. Though I've been thinking also about using Abiwood too.

mrgnash
August 20th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I do not use office suites, I rather choose my favourite application for each task...

Documents:

Likewise.

y6FgBn)~v
August 20th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Abiword and Gnumeric

Ub1476
August 20th, 2008, 06:23 AM
OpenOffice 3 usually, but I would like to try out Sliderocket for keynotes.

kernelhaxor
August 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I voted for 'Other'. I use Microsoft Office 2007 coz its good and a lot of people I work with use it (so I wont have compatibility issues)

northwestuntu
August 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
google apps

geogur
August 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM
why would you not use open office ? try another and see what i mean .

init1
August 20th, 2008, 07:01 AM
There's also StarOffice and Symphony, but I don't think many people use those. I use OpenOffice

HLEBARKATA
August 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Open Office . ;)
Beside what is MS Office? Some kinda unpopular 3rd party software?
The most people I know run OpenOffice.org not MS OFFice. (especially at work)

gn2
August 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Word Perhect (http://www.wordperhect.net/)

billgoldberg
August 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I don't use an office suite

I never need to use any kind of spreadsheets, slide shows, ...

I have abiword installed for writing some of my bigger blog articles.

I really like abiword, it's fully featured yet 57x faster than all the other word programs.

But most of the time I use mousepad to quickly "write" something down.

infinitelink
August 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
OpenOffice + Microsoft Office.

-grubby
August 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Google docs, when I use office suites(rarely, but will probably need it for upcoming highschool)

Aruhn
August 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I use at the moment only OpenOffice, in the past sometimes AbiWord, also.

But I have some (important) .doc documents that I can't open with OpenOffice. OpenOffice can't read this documents. :(

Mostly, OpenOffice works just fine.

tel93
August 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
AbiWord

wersdaluv
August 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Shippou, http://ph.ubuntuforums.org ;)

Dragonbite
August 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I like using OpenOffice because it seems to be the most feature rich and I am coming from using MS Office (2003-07) at work and have used Office 2000 at home for a long time now.

I think OpenOffice is the best choice for compatibility at this point (actually, Go-OO (http://go-oo.org/) is supposedly better).

KOffice is my second choice, but it seems to be lacking in some features. Otherwise I would prefer to use that since I'm already using KDE and like some of KDE's apps better.

regomodo
August 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
#

atomkarinca
August 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Gnome Office (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeOffice).

doorknob60
August 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
OpenOffice, it's by far the most complete office suite (open source I mean) out there. I tried Koffice it was Okay but kinda meh, OOo is just better. Abiword is pretty good for Word Proccesing too though.

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
What about Microsoft Office?

I don't use office suites much, I usually just use Abiword or OO Writer, mostly Abiword.

zmjjmz
August 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Google docs, when I use office suites(rarely, but will probably need it for upcoming highschool)

You'll actually find Google Docs to be the best, because it makes it really easy to work with friends on a paper or a presentation.

kpkeerthi
August 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I use Open Office. Opens up instantly in Arch.

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I use Open Office. Opens up instantly in Arch.

Time doesn't exist in Arch? ;)

Stan_1936
August 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Using Xubuntu.........

I tried opening a Microsoft Word(2000) document with Abiword and it opened it just fine. I then opened an Excel(2000) document with Gnumeric, and it TOO opened fine. I never tried doing any fancy work in
either. It sounds like both these preloaded applications are fully compatible with Microsoft Office.

Or are they not?

Shippou
August 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Documents:

Thanks for the info. :)

Shippou
August 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
why would you not use open office ? try another and see what i mean .

Well, let's just say I'm not an OpenOffice fan.

I dislike it; it somewhat messes up documents imported from MS Office.

Btw, why is .doc the standard? I do hope it becomes .odt, or something among those lines.

Thanks for the reactions.

Shippou
August 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Shippou, http://ph.ubuntuforums.org ;)

Thanks for the link.

Nice thread:
Kung free ang Windows, pipiliin mo ba ito kaysa sa Linux?

Warpnow
August 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Normal Word Processing: Abiword.
Projects/Stories: Celtx
Note-taking and school work: Zim

If you haven't tried Celtx or Zim DO IT!

They are amazing.

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
@Stan_1936 - yes and no. Not exactly the same formatting (because MS Office is closed source so these apps "best guess" how to interpret things), but you can open and manipulate/save in .doc...and the new "MS Standard" is not compatible yet (.docx is a big joke, but that is another story).

@Shippou - .doc is the "Standard" because of the market infiltration. It could very well have been something else (anyone remember Word Perfect?). Also, .odt is ISO certified and, therefore, is more standardized...and there are those organizations who use it exclusively for internal operations and archiving (and, more recently, some governments).

Chame_Wizard
August 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
OO.o since February 2006 :guitar:

anatolica
August 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
OpenOffice as office suite. I started to use Lyx recently, a very nice application and I also adore Celtx for creative writing, although it's basically a screenwriting tool. I wish there were some way to have its index cards features in OOo..

Corfy
August 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM
A few years ago (before switching to Linux), I made the switch from WordPerfect (first the WordPerfect Suite 8, and later WordPerfect Office 2000) to OpenOffice.org. I haven't looked back since.

I have MS Office 2003 on my work computer (Windows), but with the exception of Outlook (which I have to use whether I like it or not), I rarely use any of the programs. I prefer the OOo counterparts. Occasionally, my job will require me to use MS Word or Excel, but that is rare. The rest of the time, I use OOo.

ooobuntooo
August 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM
I use Microsoft Office 2007.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
August 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Open Office - I am trying to use Open Source apps to start a small business. OO.org and Evolution + Firefox provides a complete and integrated platform upon which to do this.

However, for personal writing - I use Abiword. It is relatively (not as much as OO) feature rich and very light weight.

pparks1
August 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM
Btw, why is .doc the standard? I do hope it becomes .odt, or something among those lines. It's the standard because most companies who utilize office applications use Microsoft Office and that is their file format.

Most of my office app usage is at work, and it's Microsoft Office 2007 for me there. At home, I'm not willing to pay for Microsoft Office, so I use Open Office.

Sorivenul
August 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM
I use Abiword/Gnumeric mostly, but am still running StarOffice on my old Solaris10 system.

Shippou
August 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hello... I planned that instead of getting an office suite, I'm gonna disassemble it.

So, what do you recommend to the following:
1. Powerpoint
2. Spreadsheet

This is also a bump for this thread. Keep voting! :)

lyni
August 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I use openoffice and I like it for the things I do.