PDA

View Full Version : WARNING to all Acer owners

trash
August 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM
and possibly other companies do this to...

I bought an Acer October 31 2007, 2 weeks ago a thunderstorm took out the modem and now the machine just shuts off in both Vista and Ubuntu.

I go to the 'Fix my Acer' website, enter the info and it tells me the machine was never registered. I go and register my machine, get the email saying it's registered... back to the fix my acer site and it says warranty is over and it gives me a number to call.

The guy on the phone has the nerve to say the warranty is from the day the machine was made and not when we bought it!!!!!!

I tell him it says on my bill that the warranty is one year whether sold as demo/trade-in/refubished.... his response was 'oh sorry sir nevermind, it must be a glitch in our system because you only registered it today, please send us a copy of the bill and we will tell you how to proceed.

I am shocked they tried to fool me out of repairing my machine and just thought others should know this crap actually happens!

EDIT: Regardless of whether you think I am trying to get a free repair or whether they will repair it... THE POINT is that the company tried to say the warranty was from the manufacture date and not the date of sale!

y@w
August 20th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Usually your home insurance company will deal with things like this. Warranty coverage usually won't cover these kinds of things unless you specifically bought an accidental damage warranty.

trash
August 20th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Usually your home insurance company will deal with things like this. Warranty coverage usually won't cover these kinds of things unless you specifically bought an accidental damage warranty.

True, but i am only guessing what the cause was since my mom had the laptop at her house, her other older machine was not damaged and it too was plugged into the phoneline.
I can't test the modem because the machine shuts itself off to soon.

The point is still that the employee tried to make me think it's not under warranty.

jgrabham
August 20th, 2008, 05:07 AM
and possibly other companies do this to...

I bought an Acer October 31 2007, 2 weeks ago a thunderstorm took out the modem and now the machine just shuts off in both Vista and Ubuntu.

I go to the 'Fix my Acer' website, enter the info and it tells me the machine was never registered. I go and register my machine, get the email saying it's registered... back to the fix my acer site and it says warranty is over and it gives me a number to call.

The guy on the phone has the nerve to say the warranty is from the day the machine was made and not when we bought it!!!!!!

I tell him it says on my bill that the warranty is one year whether sold as demo/trade-in/refubished.... his response was 'oh sorry sir nevermind, it must be a glitch in our system because you only registered it today, please send us a copy of the bill and we will tell you how to proceed.

I am shocked they tried to fool me out of repairing my machine and just thought others should know this crap actually happens!

I don't know what the law is in Canada, but over here, companies MUST provide one year warranties on things, it's the law, otherwise you can report them to the office of fair trading.

y@w
August 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
True, but i am only guessing what the cause was since my mom had the laptop at her house, her other older machine was not damaged and it too was plugged into the phoneline.
I can't test the modem because the machine shuts itself off to soon.

The point is still that the employee tried to make me think it's not under warranty.

Ok, fair enough. I just don't think that if you tell any company that all of a sudden after a thunderstorm your computer stopped working that they will do anything about it. That would fall back on insurance since it's most likely categorized under an "act of God". If other machines that were plugged into the same circuits were unaffected, then it *might* just be a coincidence. You did hear about the Dell lawsuit (http://www.pcworld.com/article/132492/lawsuit_highlights_complaints_of_angry_dell_custom ers.html) dealing with warranties just a few months ago, didn't you? I'm fairly convinced that any company will try to find some loophole so they don't have to provide warranty services..

EDIT: Oops.. the link is to the beginning of the lawsuit. I read a story on how Dell lost but can't seem to find it. It happened just a few months ago, but the story I linked to was last year when the whole thing started :)

trash
August 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I don't know what the law is in Canada, but over here, companies MUST provide one year warranties on things, it's the law, otherwise you can report them to the office of fair trading.

Pretty much the same here, especially if it's in writting:)

trash
August 20th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ok, fair enough. I just don't think that if you tell any company that all of a sudden after a thunderstorm your computer stopped working that they will do anything about it. That would fall back on insurance since it's most likely categorized under an "act of God". If other machines that were plugged into the same circuits were unaffected, then it *might* just be a coincidence. You did hear about the Dell lawsuit (http://www.pcworld.com/article/132492/lawsuit_highlights_complaints_of_angry_dell_custom ers.html) dealing with warranties just a few months ago, didn't you? I'm fairly convinced that any company will try to find some loophole so they don't have to provide warranty services..

EDIT: Oops.. the link is to the beginning of the lawsuit. I read a story on how Dell lost but can't seem to find it. It happened just a few months ago, but the story I linked to was last year when the whole thing started :)

Regardless of whether or not they repair the machine under warranty, the employee still tried to con me into thinking my one year was up.
I will report what I know to be fact and that is my machine shuts down by itself after about 5 minutes uptime... if they find a fried modem/power issue and refuse to honor the warranty thats fine, we'll see but my year coverage is NOT OVER till October 31 2008

I have dealt with Dell before and won't be going back thats for sure:lolflag:

geogur
August 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
thanks for the warning i thought acer was a good manufacture , but if they don`t stand behind there product , then they are not as good as i thought!

Dremora
August 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
So just a quick recap.

You bought it about 10 months ago.

Never registered it til it was broke.

An event that they had nothing to do with damaged it.

You want them to fix it at their expense anyway.

WARNING WARNING!!! :P

gjoellee
August 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Is pretty bad:
Acer
Fujitsu Simens
HP laptops, not desktops

IS very good:
Dell (i called them so they could fix my computer, and one guy from Dell knocked on my door about one hour later and fixed the problem in just a few minutes)

trash
August 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
So just a quick recap.

You bought it about 10 months ago.

Never registered it til it was broke.

An event that they had nothing to do with damaged it.

You want them to fix it at their expense anyway.

WARNING WARNING!!! :P

And just what do you think 12 month warranty means? Certainly not 10 months!
Like i said I am just guessing what the cause is/was.. yes the modem is fried, but the machine also shuts itself down after 5 minutes.
So is it coincidence and maybe something else is causing the shutdown... I do not know... It was plugged into a proper power bar.

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, but my laptop's well over 1 year old either way.

Dremora
August 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
And just what do you think 12 month warranty means? Certainly not 10 months!
Like i said I am just guessing what the cause is/was.. yes the modem is fried, but the machine also shuts itself down after 5 minutes.
So is it coincidence and maybe something else is causing the shutdown... I do not know... It was plugged into a proper power bar.

Lightning strikes are not in the warranty, unless you got some kind of special damage coverage.

They are well within their rights to not fix the machine.

egwest
August 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
you were using your computer when their was a thunderstorm going on outside?

I never ever do that. When I hear even the slightest hint of thunder outside, I disconnect my systems from any electrical outlet, and any other cables that might be plugged in.
Surge suppressors are good against minor power surges, but in no way protect against lightening. I learned that the hard way about 8 years ago when a strike near my home fried the motherboard of a desktop system I had then.

If you are working on something and not online, and are using a notebook, go to battery and finish up what you are doing. Also if you have a notebook go invest in one of those extended life batteries they sell, it is worth it. But leave your system turned off and unplugged when there is a thunder/lightening storm going on.

trash
August 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
No it was not in use and my mom always shuts the machine down at night, so it was off and unattended for the storm. Warranties generally don't cover missuse and abuse which is not the case here. Act of god, well we'll see when they do their investigation.
In my home I have backup battery pack to keep the net/wireless up and running and usually unplug(we have lots of powerfailures out here)... I will be telling mom to unplug phone/power cord from now on.

egwest
August 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM
No it was not in use and my mom always shuts the machine down at night, so it was off and unattended for the storm. Warranties generally don't cover missuse and abuse which is not the case here. Act of god, well we'll see when they do their investigation.
In my home I have backup battery pack to keep the net/wireless up and running and usually unplug(we have lots of powerfailures out here)... I will be telling mom to unplug phone/power cord from now on.

Always smart in any case to be on the safe side and unplug all cables from your computer and power it down when their is lightening going on outside. Lightening likes to make unexpected visits from strange sources sometimes.

trash
September 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Just got the acer back from it's repair, they replaced the 80gb hdd with a new 120gb, so it had nothing to do with either the modem or powersupply:).

Sadly they must have disconnected the dvd drive so it's being shipped back so they can finish the job lol.

Now this all raises a new question, this is the second laptop my mom has had with HDD failure in a 2 week span! first her little Dell latitude x300 started making load hdd noises so i replace the drive with a smaller one i had... and then the week later the Acer hdd died.... power surges??? to be on the safe side i told her to get herself a new powerbar.

Lostincyberspace
September 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Just got the acer back from it's repair, they replaced the 80gb hdd with a new 120gb, so it had nothing to do with either the modem or powersupply:).

Sadly they must have disconnected the dvd drive so it's being shipped back so they can finish the job lol.

Now this all raises a new question, this is the second laptop my mom has had with HDD failure in a 2 week span! first her little Dell latitude x300 started making load hdd noises so i replace the drive with a smaller one i had... and then the week later the Acer hdd died.... power surges??? to be on the safe side i told her to get herself a new powerbar.
Just because it is a power bar does not mean it is a surge protector, and in reality most aren't. Look for an Surge suppressor it should say it right on the box.

Here is an example it is a 490j(joule) for joules(j) the higher the better.
http://www.beachaudio.com/Apc/P74-p-33080.html

Edit:
here is another better one it is a 2100j for only 2 bucks more.
http://www.beachaudio.com/Rca/Pswts6-p-146075.html

Shazaam
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM

The best thing to do is to buy a name brand uninteruptible power supply instead of replacing the "powerbar" with another. Good ones can be had for less than $150 US and usually come with a pc replacement (or monetary award) guarantee if they fail to protect equipment. Another feature most of them have is a bad house wiring (ungrounded outlet etc.) detector which is another problem for electronic equipment (pc's).

trash
September 11th, 2008, 12:23 AM
thanks for the info Lostincyberspace

Shazaam, I have a UPS here so my satellite connection/router stay up and running and you're right they probably are a better investment. I think i paid $80 canadian on sale... well worth it!