PDA

View Full Version : media/mp3 player compatibility

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 12:24 AM
hi ive just got ubuntu and i want to know what personal media players and/or mp3 players are compatible

xequence
November 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM
All media players can play mp3. Its just for legal reasons it cant be included by default. I think youll need the gstreamer plugins, which a how-to for them is on ubuntuguide.org. Also youll need the w32 codecs, which you can get from the debian repos (but only use them for that) or there is a torrent for them somewhere.

Or you can get realplayer, which comes with everything needed to play mp3 and others on it.

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 12:34 AM
i should probably have made it clearer that i meant hardware mp3/media players

Malphas
November 13th, 2005, 12:40 AM
iRiver and iAudio players are good.

Stormy Eyes
November 13th, 2005, 12:58 AM
iRiver and iAudio players are good.

The devices are good, but their email support is crap. I emailed a question to them after finding myself stuck in read-only mode for that one device only (other USB mass storage devices mount as read/wrote without any trouble) over a week ago, and haven't heard a damned thing in return. My next player is going to be an iPod shuffle; I've read that gtkpod supports the Shuffle, and $129 is a reasonable price.

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 01:01 AM
so if u can connect shuffle to ubuntu does that mean u can link up other ipods as well btw my sister has a shuffle as long as the lack of a screen doesnt bother you its a cool little mp3 player

xequence
November 13th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Oh, sorry then.

Anything that acts like a usb drive will work, and even some that dont.

All I know is that... iRiver works, Sony doesent.

Stormy Eyes
November 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM
so if u can connect shuffle to ubuntu does that mean u can link up other ipods as well btw my sister has a shuffle as long as the lack of a screen doesnt bother you its a cool little mp3 player

I don't see why not. I don't have an iPod yet, so I can't give an authoritative answer. Look at gtkpod.org (http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html) for more information.

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 01:10 AM
it doesnt mention the 5th gen ipod but thats probably because its so new

Stormy Eyes
November 13th, 2005, 01:11 AM
it doesnt mention the 5th gen ipod but thats probably because its so new

Probably. If you have a latest-generation iPod, you can try it with gtkpod, or just wait a few months.

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 01:14 AM
there working on it but if i get an affirmative that ill get an iriver pmp-120 or any other pvp/pmp to work with linux ill get that

found gnomad 2 under add applications its for creative zen so i might get one of them

sbmd
September 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
what is a good manager for the pmp 120? i am using drapper and i would like to sync my pmp with my pc and transfer all my music to it. Also what is a good video converter for linux and the pmp? thankx alot for your help in advance. :D =D>

%hMa@?b<C
September 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
I have a 5G video iPod and there are some steps you need to do in order to get video working in GTKpod, but it does work.

DirtDawg
September 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I have an ipod nano (2gig) and it works great with gtkpod on Xubuntu. I haven't even had the dismount problems people sometimes have using Linux.

Also, I can move mp3's from my ipod to my harddrive! =D> Doesn't work for mp4's though.

Anonii
September 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
So, iRiver works out of the box?
Can an iRiver owner confirm this?