PDA

View Full Version : Comparisons between desktop vs. mobile platforms

Mateo
August 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Here are a couple that I've read and agree with. I'm looking at the evolution of desktop OSes and making comparison to the new Mobile OS race.

iPhone = MacOS. A great platform, but is ultimately held back by the parent company's desire for complete and total control over the operating system. Meaning you can only use it with hardware they approve of, and only on carriers they are under contract with.

Android = Windows. This is not a "quality" comparison but a (predicted) market comparison. Android and Windows might have a few more technical holes than iPhone/MacOS but these are tempered by the fact that they are relatively open in terms of what hardware they can run on and who can develop apps for them (Apple has authoritarian control over its app store).

Windows Mobile = ? NextSTEP? This is the best I can think of. Both had some early advantages by getting "out of the gate" before others, but never capitalized.

For a couple of Unix comparisons:

OpenMoko = Slackware. Good, solid, platform that is hampered by not having a major backer who can contribute to speedy development.

Android = Suse. Less open than the former, but much more polished and developed in half the time.