PDA

View Full Version : Building a media centre

trevorv
November 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I plan to start building a media centre soon, and I want to run Linux on it (of course).

After having looked at the existing options (MythTV, Geexbox) I've decided none of them really fit the bill and I'll have to do something myself. I'm probably going to run it on Linux from Scratch for the sheer customisability, but I'm not decided yet, I may end up running something else (possibly Ubuntu).

Anyway, thinking about the GUI, I decided to go for GNOME, but I want it to boot directly into a full-screen multimedia program. There would be tabs along the top, each of these divided into subsections, which a program would run under. I have made a mockup that basically shows what I mean here (http://www.activist-news.co.uk/Screenshot.png). This is Rhythmbox running under it (ignore the fact I've changed it's GUI somewhat).

So, what I need to know is what exactly I need to learn to be able to do this (make programs run under tabs). I'm assuming C, but I'm not sure.

I'll also need to make a few minor modifications to some programs GUIs, and presume it's C I need for this as well?

Thanks for any advice.