PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Windows Network empty

Alistair George
August 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Earlier, networking worked really well. I just plugged in the wifi card, enabled Windows shares on another computer, and away it went.
Its just started showing nothing in the Linux Windows folder using Nautilus 2.22.3.
If I Go/Location smb://10.1.1.5 (external ip address) shared folders are then available.
If I go Places/Connect to Server/Windows Share 10.1.1.5 = can't display location smd://10.1.1.5/ No application is registered as handling this file

Post#2 typing Nautilus smb://10.1.1.5 brings up a window showing the shares.
I have reinstalled Samba as suggested on other threads.

Post#3 OK, I suspect Nautilus, as I had read somewhere it was a bit flakey, so installed GNOME commander and Voila, SMB shows all shares as before.

Post#4 It seems that Nautilus does not try Samba; when the Network Icon is clicked, there is no delay even on refresh. Remote desktop viewer I believe is used by Nautilus to view networks? If so, Remote desktop viewer cannot find the network either.

Post#5 What I've found is that with a relog on Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and same logon detail the shares become visible in Nautilus!!

I will not put FIXED on this thread till someone who has more clues suggests a fix for Nautilus.

This is a common problem as if you search for 'empty Windows shares' there are several hits all describing the same problem without any resolution.
Any advice please?
Thanks,
Alistair.

MaX
August 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Write a detailed descrition of your network and steps to reproduce this in a buggreport on launchpad.
That's my advice.

Alistair George
August 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Write a detailed descrition of your network and steps to reproduce this in a buggreport on launchpad.
That's my advice.

Done thanks BTW they reported back that its already been opened for fixing. No further comments are needed here.