PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.0.4 Ubuntu Install Split Partition with Windows

Stattlich
August 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm looking to install Ubuntu on my Windows desktop PC. I was planning on splitting my 200GB harddrive into two partitions, leaving a majority of space available for Windows, and the rest for Ubuntu. I just want to clarify things. Installing Ubuntu would be as simple (if not more simple) as installing Windows onto a new partition?

And another question is, getting the latest drivers is as simple as just googling them, or Ubuntu auto detecting old drivers and giving me the option to update the drivers?

Pumalite
August 20th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ubuntu is no sweat to install, but it depends on your hardware. Post your specs.

Stattlich
August 20th, 2008, 12:57 AM
3.06GHZ, ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card if I'm not mistaken. 1.5GB or ram, 200GB harddrive. I can't recall the actual brand of the motherboard.

But I tried running Ubuntu from boot up, but it shows the logo and freezes. Does the same thing when I try run the Live version of it off the disc. I haven't tried to install it inside of Windows.

Pumalite
August 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Use the Alternate CD to install or try 'Safe Graphics'. Ubuntu comes with the drivers, except some wireless and some USB Ethernet.

Stattlich
August 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'm trying to burn the disc differently and give it ago. If it freezes again using the new disc, I'll give graphics safe mode a go.

Stattlich
August 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM
No longer freezes after using a disc burned differently than the first.
I get as far as:

BusyBoz v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'hel[' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)
Where after initramfs I can enter in commands. I'm unsure of what to do here.

Pumalite
August 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Use the Alternate CD.

Stattlich
August 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Just downloading that now. For some reason it takes longer to download.

Stattlich
August 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well I just ran the Alternate disc and that doesn't even work. I get the same thing as the other disc.

Pumalite
August 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Follow this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Do md5sum on the iso, burn at 4x or less. Do not use CD-RW
Make sure you burn iso as 'image' and not 'data'