PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Access Local Account Because Same Username Exists on NIS Server

harfar
August 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I just started using Ubuntu this summer to replace an existing university Red Hat computer lab. I have an existing Red Hat nis/nfs server and just today managed to add an Ubuntu client to the Red Hat nis/nfs server domain.

Here is the problem: I have been configuring my Ubuntu client through (local) username harvey. That is where I have been saving my command history to refer to when I roll this thing out.

I forgot that there is also a username harvey on the Red Hat server. As soon as the client joined the domain (if that is the term, I am not very good with Linux), I could no longer log into local harvey on the client. And thus cannot see and print my command history.

Does anyone know of a way to see the harvey command history. It does not matter how drastic the step because now that this thing is working, I am going to blow it out. Then I will have to create an Ubuntu nis/nfs server and life will be good. Unless someone strongly recommends another route (other than nis/nfs).

Thank you very much.