PDA

View Full Version : What is googlesyndication.com doing? (NoScript Firefox addon)

Pogeymanz
August 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
It seems like every other website I visit, NoScript alerts me to it blocking a script from googlesyndication.com. Is google trying to gather statistics from me, or is google just watching and planning it's world domination based on what I like to read?

EDIT: Also, google-analytics.com

steeleyuk
August 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
AFAIK, Syndication is related to AdSense and Analytics are tools that sites can use to monitor traffic on your site.

binbash
August 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
googlesyndication = google adsense
google analytics = stats

They are JS and of course noscript will alert you.

Pogeymanz
August 20th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Well, I figured that much. I was just wondering what they were doing so that I could decide if I should allow them to run.

init1
August 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well, I figured that much. I was just wondering what they were doing so that I could decide if I should allow them to run.
Eh, I don't think there's any reason to run them.

Photonic Nature
November 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
The correct answer to your google dilemma is from binbash above (#3) and that you can safely add them both to your untrusted list.
Blocking them will not inhibit site functionality.

On another note...
I know this is an old thread but I am a little confused and have to ask...

By his signature, Pogeymanz is advocating Arch Linux;

One of the five principles that comprises what is commonly referred to as the Arch Way, or the Arch Philosophy is: User-centric which states:

This user-centric design necessarily implies a certain “do-it-yourself” approach to using the Arch distribution. Rather than pursuing assistance or requesting a new feature to be implemented by developers, Arch Linux users have a tendency to solve problems themselves and share the results with the community and development team -- a "Do first, then ask" philosophy.

Another one of the "five" is:

Code-correctness over convenience

The Arch Linux system places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "newbie-friendliness".
(Excerpts from his link)

Is it me or are they kind of bashing OS' like Ubuntu?

That said... My question is: Why is someone who advocates Arch Linux asking for help first and doing so on a "newbie-friendly" Ubuntu forum?

It just seems odd to me. I'm not trying to stir up anything here, I'm just a little perplexed as to how someone with a rating of "Way Too Much Ubuntu" is advocating another OS and yet does not adhere to their philosophy.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM
That said... My question is: Why is someone who advocates Arch Linux asking for help first and doing so on a "newbie-friendly" Ubuntu forum?

It just seems odd to me. I'm not trying to stir up anything here, I'm just a little perplexed as to how someone with a rating of "Way Too Much Ubuntu" is advocating another OS and yet does not adhere to their philosophy.

I can't speak for the OP, but I lurk here even when using other distros simply because this is the most active (and cool :cool: ) forum I've found. Arch has a great wiki, but there is a lot less traffic on the forums. The alternatives are wait 15-20 minutes on the arch forum for a response, or come here and get a fast response. Half the people here use Arch anyway. :D

Also, it isn't like the Arch Way is some kind of EULA that you have to accept to use it. And besides, the original question isn't about something like editing a config file. Either you know what google-analytics is, or you don't. You can't really come to forum with a broken idea of what google-analytics is, after having tried knowing it yourself first. :P

Of course, JFGI dude.

Photonic Nature
November 14th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Also, it isn't like the Arch Way is some kind of EULA that you have to accept to use it. And besides, the original question isn't about something like editing a config file.

Of course, JFGI dude.

Thanks nmccrina, yeah I know it wasn't like some kinda EULA.
I didn't know about Arch until I read this post or how popular it was until your post. Love the JFGI bit btw.
It's just that after reading the "Archway" I was thinking "how pompous and condescending" and was wondering how an uber-user ended up here to ask us serf's a question that your 'JFGI' would reveal.

AFAIK, one can pretty much shape or make any distro into what they want, if so inclined and properly equiped.
It's the Hacker-Way :)

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks nmccrina, yeah I know it wasn't like some kinda EULA.
I didn't know about Arch until I read this post or how popular it was until your post. Love the JFGI bit btw.
It's just that after reading the "Archway" I was thinking "how pompous and condescending" and was wondering how an uber-user ended up here to ask us serf's a question that your 'JFGI' would reveal.

AFAIK, one can pretty much shape or make any distro into what they want, if so inclined and properly equiped.
It's the Hacker-Way :)

I think you'll like this review of Arch: ;)
www.techiemoe.com/tech/arch200902.htm (http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/arch200902.htm)

I loved where he talked about being 'introduced to "The Arch Way™," (not to be confused with "The Right Way," "The Wrong Way" or "The Way to San Jose").' :D

Perfect Storm
November 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
reviving an old thread with something unrelated to the original subject, Thread closed.