PDA

View Full Version : (Rant) Dell makes poor quality chargers

tom66
August 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ugh. Charger on my Dell Inspiron 1300 failed. It itself has definately failed because another laptop which I know works with it (albeit slowly) doesn't even work with it.

That's annoying. But what makes it worse is that this is the nth charger failer, n being more than 8 or something near that. There should be zero charger failures :(!

Edit - The strange thing is that seven out of eight+ have all failed in the same way. The laptop charges intemittedly ... occasionally, then sometimes disconnecting, then more, then it won't charge at all. So it must be a recurring problem with their chargers.

So a quick warning, never get a Dell Inspiron 1300...

I need a new laptop.

steeleyuk
August 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
How has it failed? I know that you have to wrap the cable around the charging block on Dell's in a specific way otherwise you risk loosening the wires inside.

tom66
August 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Really? I've always stored it kinda messy...

It fails probably because of some wire breaking or something, but it slowly fails, e.g. it works for a while then stops working occasionaly then not at all.

rickyjones
August 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
If more than one charger has failed on you in the last year then I'd look at the electricity in your house as a possible culprit. Are you purchasing the correct power bricks from Dell?

-Richard

tom66
August 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
It's failed in another house, and at school before. But what do I do if it is a problem with my house...? And the first charger lasted nearly a year, the second three to six months and the third and others about a week to a month.

The laptop is under warranty, and such I get free bricks. It seems I am costing Dell a lot of money, because those aren't cheap.

rickyjones
August 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It's failed in another house, and at school before. But what do I do if it is a problem with my house...?

Try using a surge suppressor in front of the power brick and see if a new one continues to fail like before.

-Richard

tom66
August 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Are they expensive? I am on a low budget, the laptop was very cheap (£420).

rickyjones
August 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Are they expensive? I am on a low budget, the laptop was very cheap (£420).

A basic surge suppressor should run under $30USD. That will depend on brand, how much protection, and the actual location of purchase.

I've had good luck with Belkin brand.

Thanks,
Richard