PDA

View Full Version : [Python] A Tic-tac-toe "engine"

nvteighen
August 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi,

Just for practice, I have written a tic-tac-toe class in Python I wanted to share with you. I think it's nice enough because it's class-based and allows some basic customization by passing arguments to the __init__() method (size of the board... so you can have a sort of "connect-four") and number of players (and the symbols the players want to use). Of course, I also wrote an interface to the class to show how to use it in a very simple text interface Tic-tac-toe... But it should be easy to port it to a GUI or ncurses... or at least I suppose so :p

Any comment to improve it will be appreciated. Thanks!

dwhitney67
August 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not much of Python developer, but I wonder if the check() function you wrote could be simplified?

I've attached a TTT game that I got from the book "Object Oriented Programming with C++ and OSF/Motif" from Douglas Young. From the title, you can deduce that the code is written in C++, but I'm sure the concepts are very similar to that of Python.

One thing the author did was to create/define a table that indicated all of the possible win scenarios; and there are only 8 of them (for a 3x3 board). If you picture the board as being rotatable (sp?) then the number of win scenarios makes sense.

P.S. The game "engine" is in the file Board.C.

nvteighen
August 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yes, but the point is that this code could be used for boards bigger than 3x3. What I wrote are general rules that will work for nxn.

Anyway, thanks. I'll give it a look!