PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin 2.5 Released

August 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.pidgin.im

Version 2.5 out now.

How do I install it since it's not in the repos yet?

Depressed Man
August 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You can either compile it. Or wait for a getdeb version of it. Or if you know someone who has a repo with the latest version (I forget who has one..)

August 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
yeah when i try to compile something, something breaks along the process lol.

Nepherte
August 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin

Kosimo
August 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hello guys, pidgin folks has just released a new version 2.5.0

Here the changelog:

Version 2.5.0

* libpurple
o Ability to create custom smileys (currently only the MSN protocol utilizes the feature). (Thanks to Mauro Sérgio Ferreira Brasil, Marcus Lundblad, Jorge Villaseñor and other contributors)
o Add a configure option, --with-system-ssl-certs to allow packagers to specify a system-wide SSL CA certificates directory. When set, we don't install our SSL CA certs, so it's important that the libpurple package depend on the CA certificates.
o Add SSL Certificates support to the NSS SSL plugin. (Thanks to Lou Cipher)

* XMPP
o Fix a bug that caused the UI to not refresh and caused the client to use 99% CPU when an XMPP account lost its connection to the server.
o Possibly fix a bug where some clients could get into a state where they moved a buddy back and forth between two groups in an endless loop.

* IRC
o /ctcp command (Vladislav Guberinić)
o Allow for auto-detection of incoming UTF-8 formatted text on accounts which are configured to use some other encoding.

* MSN
o Update MSN support to protocol 15 (Elliott Sales de Andrade, Jorge Villaseñor, Mike Ruprecht, Carlos Silva, Ma Yuan, Daniel Ljungborg and others)
o Personal messages are now supported. They are treated as status messages.
o Offline IM is now supported.
o Aliasing is now supported server-side.
o Buddies are now emblemed. Bots and web clients should now be distinguished.
o Update smiley set for non-faces.
o Failing to update a buddy icon when the buddy has gone offline no longer crashes.
o Custom smileys received in a chat no longer go to a new window.
o Processing is no longer completely frozen after the servers block a message because it contains (what they consider) inappropriate text.

* Pidgin
o Custom buddy icons can now be added to and removed from buddy list entries via the buddy list entry right-click menu.
o Resize large incoming custom smileys to a maximum of 96px on either side.
o Offer to add new buddies into the same contact as existing buddies in the same group if the alias given is the same.
o Minor smiley style update.

* General
o Group and Chat buddy list entries can now be given custom buddy icons.

* Finch
o Added "Invite..." menu to chats.
o Added "View All Logs" menu in the buddylist to display a list of all IM logs.
o Added '/msgcolor' command to change colors of different classes of messages in a conversation. See '/help msgcolor' for details.
o Added tab-completion for commands in conversation windows.

* Windows-specific changes
o Don't install the GSSAPI SASL plugin on NT4 to avoid an error popup.
o Use the Kerberos for Windows libraries installed on the system (if present) instead of including enough to load the plugin (Kfw still needed to be installed for it to actually work before this change).
o Upgrade to Perl 5.10 (System Perl runtime must be upgraded for Perl plugins to continue to work).
o Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.7 toolkit

As always:
Download the source,
then:

./configure
make
sudo aptitude install

SlugO
August 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Now this is the update that I've been waiting for a looong time. MSN support is finally brought up to date from the prehistoric ages with MSNP15! :) :guitar:
Changelog:

* libpurple
o Ability to create custom smileys (currently only the MSN protocol utilizes the feature). (Thanks to Mauro Sérgio Ferreira Brasil, Marcus Lundblad, Jorge Villaseñor and other contributors)
o Add a configure option, --with-system-ssl-certs to allow packagers to specify a system-wide SSL CA certificates directory. When set, we don't install our SSL CA certs, so it's important that the libpurple package depend on the CA certificates.
o Add SSL Certificates support to the NSS SSL plugin. (Thanks to Lou Cipher)

* XMPP
o Fix a bug that caused the UI to not refresh and caused the client to use 99% CPU when an XMPP account lost its connection to the server.
o Possibly fix a bug where some clients could get into a state where they moved a buddy back and forth between two groups in an endless loop.

* IRC
o /ctcp command (Vladislav Guberinić)
o Allow for auto-detection of incoming UTF-8 formatted text on accounts which are configured to use some other encoding.

* MSN
o Update MSN support to protocol 15 (Elliott Sales de Andrade, Jorge Villaseñor, Mike Ruprecht, Carlos Silva, Ma Yuan, Daniel Ljungborg and others)
o Personal messages are now supported. They are treated as status messages.
o Offline IM is now supported.
o Aliasing is now supported server-side.
o Buddies are now emblemed. Bots and web clients should now be distinguished.
o Update smiley set for non-faces.
o Failing to update a buddy icon when the buddy has gone offline no longer crashes.
o Custom smileys received in a chat no longer go to a new window.
o Processing is no longer completely frozen after the servers block a message because it contains (what they consider) inappropriate text.

* Pidgin
o Custom buddy icons can now be added to and removed from buddy list entries via the buddy list entry right-click menu.
o Resize large incoming custom smileys to a maximum of 96px on either side.
o Offer to add new buddies into the same contact as existing buddies in the same group if the alias given is the same.
o Minor smiley style update.

* General
o Group and Chat buddy list entries can now be given custom buddy icons.

* Finch
o Added "Invite..." menu to chats.
o Added "View All Logs" menu in the buddylist to display a list of all IM logs.
o Added '/msgcolor' command to change colors of different classes of messages in a conversation. See '/help msgcolor' for details.
o Added tab-completion for commands in conversation windows.

* Windows-specific changes
o Don't install the GSSAPI SASL plugin on NT4 to avoid an error popup.
o Use the Kerberos for Windows libraries installed on the system (if present) instead of including enough to load the plugin (Kfw still needed to be installed for it to actually work before this change).
o Upgrade to Perl 5.10 (System Perl runtime must be upgraded for Perl plugins to continue to work).
o Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.7 toolkit

phrostbyte
August 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Great release for MSN users.

aaaantoine
August 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
After configure...

Build with GStreamer support.. : yes
Build with D-Bus support...... : yes

. . .

Install pixmaps............... : yes
Install translations.......... : yes
Has you....................... : yes

Nooo! Pidgin 2.5.0 has me!

By the way, "apt-get build-dep pidgin" missed networkmanager-dev. So be sure to install that too, or run ./configure with the option "--disable-nm" (not that I understand the importance of using nm, but I wouldn't recommend disabling it).

EDIT: Done configuring, making, and installing. Now I get this error:

pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol: purple_smileys_get_all

The solution to this? Make sure you run the following before you install:

$ sudo apt-get remove pidgin libpurple0
I had already removed pidgin, but not libpurple0. That apparently spawned the error.

aaaantoine
August 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
"sudo aptitude install"? Haven't tried that one before...

Mods, please merge with this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894473

mrgnash
August 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Almost makes me wish I used MSN.... no, wait, it doesn't :P

I'll install it anyway though.

Your instructions should also include the step of removing any existing installation of Pidgin before installing the latest version. I'm also not aware that 'sudo aptitude install' works for installing from source? But maybe I just haven't been clued in on that one ;)

RATM_Owns
August 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
GetDeb.net has .debs for it: http://getdeb.net/app/Pidgin

picpak
August 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
"sudo aptitude install"? Haven't tried that one before...

That would be a typo. I assume he means "sudo checkinstall".

Tom--d
August 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
YAY!

I've been waiting for this for ages! :D
Finally Msn with personal Messages ..

but, how do I have my own?

bruce89
August 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
If only telepathy-butterfly could do all the libpurple stuff. Perhaps I should go back to telepathy-haze for MSN.

picpak
August 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM

FINALLY!

Up next: plugin to set your personal message to the music you're playing. Then I might switch back...

Tom--d
August 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
FINALLY!

Up next: plugin to set your personal message to the music you're playing. Then I might switch back...

Yeah :D
And then.. I would recommend it to my friends (who are on Windows) than windows live messenger.

Talking of WLM. I was on windows today. Good computer. 1GB Ram. XP etc.
but, wlm was so slow. It takes ages to load.. then logging in has a freezing part. Just really (to me) a heavy application (or looks it to me).

Sef
August 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Merged.

drubin
August 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Just upgraded, works pretty well for now. The fact that it has msn offline messaging is amazing. (but I got a lot because I have never really be able to check them).

drubin
August 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah :D
And then.. I would recommend it to my friends (who are on Windows) than windows live messenger.

I already use Pidgin on windows at work.

Polygon
August 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM
YAY!

I've been waiting for this for ages! :D

but, how do I have my own?

its whatever your status message is on pidgin

you can set your self as available then type a message in the little box, and then that will show up as your personal message.

bjschuma
August 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
FINALLY!

There's a script in Amarok that does this. It's called "AmarokPidgin."

picpak
August 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
There's a script in Amarok that does this. It's called "AmarokPidgin."

Would that script still try to run when Pidgin isn't, though? I know my AWN script tries to.

Toupee
August 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hooray for custom buddy icons! Finally!

midtown
August 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'm also not aware that 'sudo aptitude install' works for installing from source? But maybe I just haven't been clued in on that one ;)

I assume that is meant to be 'sudo make install'.

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Is anyone else getting frequent crashes?

drubin
August 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Is anyone else getting frequent crashes?

My one hasn't crashed once, Have you tried disabling all your plugins and then re enabling them one at a time (after some time) to see which one causes more crashes.

Superkoop
August 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Good to see Pidgin getting a bit better! :biggrin:
Now all I need is Webcam + audio and then I will switch. ;)

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
My one hasn't crashed once, Have you tried disabling all your plugins and then re enabling them one at a time (after some time) to see which one causes more crashes.

My current theory is that it crashes when I receive a message while a Flash animation is going (Flash being rendered by Adobe Flash 9 via nspluginwrapper :-|).

I'll try disabling plug-ins if it happens outside those circumstances.

DougieFresh4U
August 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I thought I would try the new pigdin, but i am getting dependency from hell drama. I am trying to use the getdeb. Can some one maybe assist me a little. Also I can never install a tar file unles I am supplied with exact code step by step
Thanks

picpak
August 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I thought I would try the new pigdin, but i am getting dependency from hell drama. I am trying to use the getdeb. Can some one maybe assist me a little. Also I can never install a tar file unles I am supplied with exact code step by step
Thanks

Go to http://getdeb.net/release.php?id=3099 and download all the files: pidgin, pidgin-data and libpurple0. Then open up a terminal and run:

sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb

Hope this helps. :)

LookTJ
August 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
ThanksAre you getting the pidgin deb package from getdeb? If so, you have to install the required packages before installing the main package.

DougieFresh4U
August 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Go to http://getdeb.net/release.php?id=3099 and download all the files: pidgin, pidgin-data and libpurple0. Then open up a terminal and run:

sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks for reply
this is what happened:
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~$ sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for dougie:
dpkg: error processing libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb (--install):
Errors were encountered while processing:
libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb
pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~$

virx
August 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Is it going to be in repos? When? Who knows?

DougieFresh4U
August 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Are you getting the pidgin deb package from getdeb? If so, you have to install the required packages before installing the main package.

Tried to install all three but each one had a different dependency poblem

ghindo
August 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Is it going to be in repos? When? Who knows?In Intrepid.

virx
August 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
2.4.3 came to Hardy although at Hardy release was some earlier version Pidgin.

How do you understand that?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pidgin/+bug/259759

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I might add this to my PPA at some point (I use Empathy now).

picpak
August 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for reply
this is what happened:
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~$ sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~$

Did you download them to your desktop? If so, do

cd Desktop/

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM

cd Desktop/

Therein lies (part of the) problem with GetDeb.

LookTJ
August 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Therein lies (part of the) problem with GetDeb.Not really GetDeb, but it is Firefox's default to save files to the desktop.:)

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Not really GetDeb, but it is Firefox's default to save files to the desktop.:)

I meant the fact that you have to download binary packages manually and install them manually.

NWAdawg
August 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Installed Pidgin2.5 today. I really like the new custom icon feature.

DougieFresh4U
August 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Sure did, and got the same result
I thank you for your input, but I am still lost on this

picpak
August 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I meant the fact that you have to download binary packages manually and install them manually.

I agree, a repository would solve all these problems.

Sure did, and got the same result
I thank you for your input, but I am still lost on this

Are you sure you ran "cd Desktop/"? You didn't include it in your quote. Be sure to run that.

zachtib
August 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
for those that are having trouble installing, look into useing prevu to build proper debs, I just apt-get source'd pidgin-2.4.3, uupdated to 2.5.0, and rebuilt the debs.

I'm having an odd issue of pidgin 2.5 asking me to confirm the ssl cert everytime I start it up...

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
for those that are having trouble installing, look into useing prevu to build proper debs, I just apt-get source'd pidgin-2.4.3, uupdated to 2.5.0, and rebuilt the debs.

Probably better to get Intrepid's version, and backport it. That way you benefit from packaging changes.

klange
August 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hmm... Quite nice. They finally fixed my two biggest complaints.

DougieFresh4U
August 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I agree, a repository would solve all these problems.

Are you sure you ran "cd Desktop/"? You didn't include it in your quote. Be sure to run that.

I put it exactly as the code presented, thanks for helping:)

dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~$ cd Desktop/
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
dougie@DougiesLeanMachine:~/Desktop$

LookTJ
August 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hmm where did you actually save the packages? Just out of curiosity. :)

bjschuma
August 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Would that script still try to run when Pidgin isn't, though? I know my AWN script tries to.

I haven't checked, but it probably would still be running even if Pidgin isn't.

zachtib
August 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
Probably better to get Intrepid's version, and backport it. That way you benefit from packaging changes.

oh, cool, when I built, it wasn't in intrepid yet, time to rebuild

zachtib
August 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
FINALLY!

there's pidgin-musictracker, but i've had no luck getting it to work with banshee-1.2

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
there's pidgin-musictracker, but i've had no luck getting it to work with banshee-1.2

This should work.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5140193&postcount=304

DougieFresh4U
August 21st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hmm where did you actually save the packages? Just out of curiosity. :)

Desktop

picpak
August 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
Desktop

What you can do is, if all else fails, open up a terminal and run

sudo dpkg -i

drag and drop the three debs (pidgin, pidgin-data, libpurple0) one at a time into the terminal, and hit enter. That should install them. :)

jasmuz
August 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
Hello to all!

I just installed the pidgin 2.5.0 deb packages from getdeb and im having an issue, maybe you can shine some light on it.

I use 2 Windows Live accounts, one with an @hotmail.com address (no issue here), and another with an @gmail.com address on wich i have a passport enabled, this under the old MSNP9, in Pidgin-Kopete-aMSN and such, runs properly, but under the new and improved MSNP15 screams the following error:

Windows Live ID authentication:Invalid response

Any ideas?

PS: under the Pidgin 2.4.3 with the MSN-Pecan for WLM, it used to work also.
Please help me out, im stumbling in the dark here.

SOLVED: The issue was, that my non hotmail account wasnt validated under the newer Windows Live ID, instead of MSN Passport. Once i did the logon and accepted the terms, it worked right away.

DougieFresh4U
August 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Ok, for some reason I found the files in temp folder. Pref. are set to download to desktop, but any ways, they are in temp. So how do I get them to install from temp, please?

ELD
August 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Trust the Pidgin devs to make a really crap way to update your status. Galaxium messenger all the way for MSN.

Polygon
August 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
how is it bad? you update your status in the same place you update your away message and all that for every other protocol, the thing at the bottom of the buddy list. If you want a personal message, simply select 'available' and type a message. done. If thats too complicated for you, then i'm sorry.

ELD
August 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Why should i have to set a status for it though?
They should just have a simple box in plain view to update status. Pidgin devs always seem to do things wierdly.

klange
August 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Why should i have to set a status for it though?
They should just have a simple box in plain view to update status. Pidgin devs always seem to do things wierdly.

Why would they screw up the entire interface for a single protocol?

SomeGuyDude
August 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Getting the same "authentication invalid" thing. I can't connect to MSN now. Awesome.

klange
August 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Getting the same "authentication invalid" thing. I can't connect to MSN now. Awesome.

Is your account registered as a Passport or a Live account?
All's well here.

Polygon
August 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
msn also works fine here.

and that box thing at the bottom IS your status. It makes perfect sense to me.

DougieFresh4U
August 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM
I guess I will have to wait it out.
I go have AIM & Kopete I can use

Polygon
August 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
your a good man. I loved the AIM 5.x.xxxx series of clients for windows, when that AIM 6 crap came out, i was turned off highly.

but now pidgin has come into my life and i haven't looked back =P

ntetreau
August 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Just backported the latest Intrepid version of Pidgin using Prevu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Prevu) , no problems so far.

hufferd
August 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
GetDeb.net has .debs for it: http://getdeb.net/app/Pidgin

yay new pidgin

anlag
August 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
The custom smileys are nice, however it seems when someone sends me a custom smiley, Pidgin overrides that with the fairly ugly Pidgin defaults smileys if they have the same shortcut (:D, :) etc). The only way I found to turn off default smileys was to turn off customs as well. Is there a way to make the other users custom smileys show in place of Pidgin's defaults?

dragonx
August 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
I had a problem when compiling pidgin

tengo un problema al compilarlo, me dice:
gntaccount.o: In function `add_protocol_options':
/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch/gntaccount.c:433: undefined reference to `g_assertion_message'
gntaccount.o: In function `save_account_cb':
/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch/gntaccount.c:221: undefined reference to `g_assertion_message'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [finch] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

what can I do?

b3n87
August 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I had a problem when compiling pidgin

tengo un problema al compilarlo, me dice:
gntaccount.o: In function `add_protocol_options':
/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch/gntaccount.c:433: undefined reference to `g_assertion_message'
gntaccount.o: In function `save_account_cb':
/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch/gntaccount.c:221: undefined reference to `g_assertion_message'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [finch] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0/finch'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dragonx/Desktop/pidgin-2.5.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

what can I do?

Hey, just get it from getdeb.net

http://getdeb.net/app/Pidgin

Its easier to install and a preferred way of installing a package compared to compiling from source.

Starlight
August 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hi! I have a problem with custom smileys on MSN in the new Pidgin. When a person sent me an animated one, I tried to add it, but it just didn't appear on my smiley list. I tried it a few times, and it was the same. And when someone sent me a different one, it got added to the list, but the animation was frozen... it was supposed to be an animated smiley, but only one frame got added to Pidgin. The same smileys work without any problems in aMSN and emesene. Does anyone else have such problems in Pidgin 2.5? :)

klange
August 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hi! I have a problem with custom smileys on MSN in the new Pidgin. When a person sent me an animated one, I tried to add it, but it just didn't appear on my smiley list. I tried it a few times, and it was the same. And when someone sent me a different one, it got added to the list, but the animation was frozen... it was supposed to be an animated smiley, but only one frame got added to Pidgin. The same smileys work without any problems in aMSN and emesene. Does anyone else have such problems in Pidgin 2.5? :)

The animated emotes are probably not supported yet on the client side in Pidgin - it's a new feature, hacked together through GSoC, and it has a number of bugs.

fornix
August 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
FINALLY!

Try Musictracker http://code.google.com/p/musictracker/
I wouldn't have used pidgin without it!

Starlight
August 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
The animated emotes are probably not supported yet on the client side in Pidgin - it's a new feature, hacked together through GSoC, and it has a number of bugs.

ok, thanks for the reply :) I hope they fix it soon... Pidgin is cool, but without a good custom smileys support, it's not as good as aMSN or emesene when it comes to the MSN network.

Sammi
August 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Nobody gets to choose what IM protocol they use, cause you have to use the same one that the people you want to chat with use. Where I live everybody uses MSN, so that's what I use too.

I moved to Emesene immediately after it was released, because it had much better MSN support, but this update might bring me back to Pidgin. At least I'm going to give it a try again.

Got the debs from getdeb.net, and it installed and ran without troubles. Looking forward to seing if it will suit my needs.

RiceMonster
August 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Nobody gets to choose what IM protocol they use, cause you have to use the same one that the people you want to chat with use. Where I live everybody uses MSN, so that's what I use too.

I moved to Emesene immediately after it was released, because it had much better MSN support, but this update might bring me back to Pidgin. At least I'm going to give it a try again.

Got the debs from getdeb.net, and it installed and ran without troubles. Looking forward to seing if it will suit my needs.

Yeah, once this version makes it into the Arch repositories, I'm going to give it a try. I don't want to compile from source. I also use pidgin

khc
August 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Please don't spread misinformation. While custom emoticons is a new feature, it's not done as part of GSoC at all.

DougieFresh4U
August 24th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I am really frustrated trying to install this pidgin.
I down;oad the pidgin file but installer tells me dependency problem with libpurple, so I try to install libpurple and it tells me dependency problem with libperl5.8.
I installed the Prevu hoping to go that route to install pidgin bu I am kind of lost on what to do next.
Could some one please give it a go
Thanks

klange
August 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Please don't spread misinformation. While custom emoticons is a new feature, it's not done as part of GSoC at all.
I must be mistaken, then, I thought all the MSN enhancements were run through SoC.

]FT[
August 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I am really frustrated trying to install this pidgin.
I down;oad the pidgin file but installer tells me dependency problem with libpurple, so I try to install libpurple and it tells me dependency problem with libperl5.8.
I installed the Prevu hoping to go that route to install pidgin bu I am kind of lost on what to do next.
Could some one please give it a go
Thanks

If you're using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, you will not be able to install Pidgin 2.5 via the packages for Hardy Heron, because those packages depends on Perl 5.8, and on Intrepid Ibex there's Perl 5.10, and you can't have both of them installed. The simplest thing to do is to compile it from sources, or modify the dependancies of the packages (and this is what I did). If you want I can spread with you the modified packages:

pidgin_2.5.0-1~getdeb1-hacked_i386.deb (http://www.deadware.org/ubuntu/pidgin_2.5.0-1%7Egetdeb1-hacked_i386.deb)
pidgin-data_2.5.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb (http://www.deadware.org/ubuntu/pidgin-data_2.5.0-1%7Egetdeb1_all.deb)
libpurple0_2.5.0-1~getdeb1-hacked_i386.deb (http://www.deadware.org/ubuntu/libpurple0_2.5.0-1%7Egetdeb1-hacked_i386.deb)

Let me know if they work.
R

EDIT: However, if I could help you, you should install them putting all the three packages in one new empty folder (maybe "pidgin" in your home dir), than:
- open a terminal
- cd ~/pidgin
- sudo dpkg -i *.deb
It is the easyiest way to install programs which uses more than one deb file.

DougieFresh4U
August 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I think it worked
I have included a screenshot About and if it is correct version let me know please.
Thanks so much again

super.rad
August 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
If your using Intrepid Ibex just make sure you have all updates installed, just did a fresh install of Intrepid and installed all upgrades and I'm now using pidgin 2.5

hufferd
August 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't know if I will up date just yet ... I assume that when pidgin 2.5 is in the repos that my install will update it self correct?

>.3
August 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
So I compiled it

sudo apt-get install build-essential network-manager-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin
tar jxvf pidgin-2.5.0.tar.bz2
cd pidgin-2.5.0
./configure –enable-gnutls=yes
make && sudo make install
Right.
But it won't start. When i click on the pidgin icon all it does is THIS (http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6577/screenshotlh8.png) for a few seconds and then nothing.
What's going on there? Help, plz.

5m0k3
August 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
So I compiled it

sudo apt-get install build-essential network-manager-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin
tar jxvf pidgin-2.5.0.tar.bz2
cd pidgin-2.5.0
./configure –enable-gnutls=yes
make && sudo make install
Right.
But it won't start. When i click on the pidgin icon all it does is THIS (http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6577/screenshotlh8.png) for a few seconds and then nothing.
What's going on there? Help, plz.

Open pidgin via the terminal (by typing "pidgin" [without the quotes]) and note any errors or other feedback

anlag
August 26th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Animated smileys are supported at least to some extent. I've added two of them: one a pair of clapping hands, which work only they clap bloody fast, and the other a smiley waving a Leeds United scarf (mighty whites!) over his head - which works perfectly.

meho_r
August 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Did anyone experience any problems with files sending (MSN protocol)? Can't send and can't receive a thing :(

Johnsie
August 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
When is this going to be in the hardy repositories? Or do we have to wait months to get up-to-date software?

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
When is this going to be in the hardy repositories? Or do we have to wait months to get up-to-date software?

You'll probably have to wait to untill Ibex, unfortunately.

Johnsie
August 29th, 2008, 07:56 PM
That sucks... If I install it from getdeb.net will I have to update manually every time there's an update to pidgin or will Ubunbtu know when the official Ubuntu version is more recent than the getdeb one?

bruce89
August 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
That sucks... If I install it from getdeb.net will I have to update manually every time there's an update to pidgin

Yes. Therein lies one of the problems with GetDeb.

Johnsie
August 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
And installing an external deb iis a big security risk too... Because you give root access to the package and the package could contain nasty things. Grrr...

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, thats one of the things I don't like about Ubuntu; the "frozen" repos.

Polygon
August 30th, 2008, 01:09 AM
That sucks... If I install it from getdeb.net will I have to update manually every time there's an update to pidgin or will Ubunbtu know when the official Ubuntu version is more recent than the getdeb one?

unless pidgin releases incremental updates, like 2.4.1, ubuntu will never update pidgin, because introducing major ugrapdes into the repos without proper testing could lead to instability.

and also, depends on the upgrade. Like usually packages are like pidgin-data-2.5.0getdeb, but if a update comes along for pidgin 2.6, then it will upgrade correctly.

napalm brain
August 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I like manually updgrading because I feel like a bad ***. This is due in part to me being absolutely clueless on how to do above basic commands. I follow a guide and update everything in the terminal. It makes me feel good.

BTW, the new Pidgin looks great. Much more glossy. And should I say.. sexy?

brunomiguel
August 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've installed Pidgin 2.5.0 successfully with the usual 'sudo ./configure; sudo make; sudo make install' (all my sources go to /usr/src), but when I try to create a deb package with 'sudo checkinstall -D', I get this error:

test -z "/usr/local/share" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/share"
/bin/bash /usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/install-sh -c -m 644 'icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/pidgin.png' '/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/pidgin.png'
chmod: a mudar as permissões de `/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/_inst.13993_': Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
/bin/bash /usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/install-sh -c -m 644 'icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/pidgin.png' '/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/pidgin.png'
chmod: a mudar as permissões de `/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/_inst.13999_': Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
/bin/bash /usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/install-sh -c -m 644 'icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/pidgin.png' '/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/pidgin.png'
chmod: a mudar as permissões de `/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/_inst.14005_': Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
/bin/bash /usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/install-sh -c -m 644 'icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/pidgin.png' '/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/pidgin.png'
chmod: a mudar as permissões de `/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/_inst.14011_': Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
/bin/bash /usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/install-sh -c -m 644 'icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/pidgin.png' '/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/pidgin.png'
chmod: a mudar as permissões de `/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/_inst.14017_': Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
make[4]: *** [install-nobase_dist_pidginiconsDATA] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/pidgin/pixmaps'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/pidgin/pixmaps'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/pidgin/pixmaps'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pidgin-2.5.0/pidgin'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

**** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.

The reason I want to create a deb package is because I want to install pidgin-extprefs, pidgin-guifications, pidgin-libnotify, pidgin-otr and they all install the pidgin package from the repos. I know I could just download the plugins source and compile them, but I want to avoid it.

coolbrook
August 31st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the notification. Updated.

picpak
August 31st, 2008, 04:58 AM
Yes. Therein lies one of the problems with GetDeb.

Try Pidgin's PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive

gardara
August 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
2.5.1 out now! You can get it from getdeb http://www.getdeb.net/release/3140

drubin
August 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
2.5.1 out now! You can get it from getdeb http://www.getdeb.net/release/3140

What changes/bug fixes? Is it worth upgrading my one seems to be behaving not one crash.

LookTJ
August 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM
What changes/bug fixes? Is it worth upgrading my one seems to be behaving not one crash.
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ChangeLog

drubin
August 31st, 2008, 06:11 PM
I am going to give it a few days encase they find any other little bugs :)

wipeout140
August 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM

Version 2.5.1 ( 08/31/2008 )

View all closed tickets for this release. (http://developer.pidgin.im/query?status=closed&milestone=2.5.1)

libpurple

In the Join/Part plugin, add the ability to apply the rules to buddies. By default, joins and parts for buddies are still shown.
Support SOCKS proxies specified in GNOME or Windows proxy settings.
Fix some possible crashes in MSNP15.
Enable a default SSL trust relationship for MSN servers.
Avoid disconnecting from XMPP servers on parse errors that are non-fatal.
Include some perl files that were mistakenly omitted in 2.5.0.

Pidgin

Prevent use of custom smilies without "shortcuts."
Fix a crash that could appear with AIM buddy tooltips.

Artwork

General refresh of many icons in the interface.
Many cleanups to artwork source are now included in the distribution.
A new "throbber" animation has been added to indicate when accounts are connecting.

SilverDragon
August 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Try Pidgin's PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive

Thanks, I was looking for this.

tuchki
August 31st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi. i've installed pidgin 2.5 but i didn't uninstall pidgin 2.4.1. then when i'm using pidgin, it closes when i hit enter to send a message, sometimes i can send some but others i can not send anything. even sometimes it closes inmediately. i've tried to uninstall pidgin and start again. i tried with sudo apt-get remove pidgin pidgin-data sudo apt-get autoremove and i deleted /home/user/.pidgin folder. but i cant make that pidgin works correctely.

i've tried with .deb and compiling... now i tried with pidgin 2.5.1 but i have the same problem. i have a backtrace but it has "??" where the function's name has to be.

does anybody knows if there is a way to erase everithing about pidgin and start again?

thank you

garg
September 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Does any one know why if I type pidgin --version then it says 2.5.1 but if I type pidgin and then go to Help > About > It shows Pidgin 2.4.1 ?

edit: nevermind. I completely removed pidgin and then reinstalled from source and now it shows 2.5.1

merlos
September 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi all guys.
I tried pidgin 2.5.0 and everything is ok.

The only problem I noticed is related to Custom Smilies.
When I try to add a Smile from a chat with some of my contact (right button -> add custom smile ) this won't work.

The log show me that pidgin miss custom_smiley directory on my profile dir

(11:08:31) gtksmiley: adding a new smiley
(11:08:31) util: Writing file /home/merlos/.purple/custom_smiley/8ae92b4f24d59aeace2d4b817fb9cf1a022790e3.png
(11:08:31) util: Error opening file /home/merlos/.purple/custom_smiley/8ae92b4f24d59aeace2d4b817fb9cf1a022790e3.png.save for writing: Nessun file o directory
(11:08:31) smileys: Error reading /home/merlos/.purple/custom_smiley/8ae92b4f24d59aeace2d4b817fb9cf1a022790e3.png: Apertura del file "/home/merlos/.purple/custom_smiley/8ae92b4f24d59aeace2d4b817fb9cf1a022790e3.png" fallita: Nessun file o directory
(11:08:32) util: Writing file prefs.xml to directory /home/merlos/.purple
(11:08:32) util: Writing file /home/merlos/.purple/prefs.xml

I solved the problem creating this dir, and now I can add custom smilies and use it.

mkdir ~/.purple/custom_smiley

Hope this help someone with the same problem

Giovanni
:)

hazze_h
September 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM

I had the same error with 2.5.0.
I solved it by logging into https://login.live.com and accepted the agreement.
Then it was possible to use pidgin with msn again.

/Hazze

boobuntu
September 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
pidgin rox0rs my s0xors.

RayVad
October 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Working here!

First, uninstall the old Pidgin, pidgin-data and libpurple0

New installation done like this:

1) Download files to desktop from http://www.getdeb.net/release/3140

2a) in terminal do: sudo dpkg -i libpurple0_2.5.1-1~getdeb1_i386.deb pidgin-data_2.5.1-1~getdeb1_all.deb pidgin_2.5.1-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
or
2b) Alternatively you can do in a terminal: sudo dpkg -i and drag every file in it and hit enter.

3) In both situations you will get dependency errors, so open a new terminal and do: sudo apt-get install -f
This will continue the installation for both the dependencies and .deb files.

Greetz,
Ray

virx
October 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Can Pidgin change status to busy automatically, when I open full screen application - like msn messenger does?

Hubris2
November 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
For those running Intrepid, what package from the repos do you have installed? I have 1.2.5.2-Oubuntu1, but I only have Pidgin 2.0 installed. Verified by running pidgin --version.

Polygon
November 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Can Pidgin change status to busy automatically, when I open full screen application - like msn messenger does?

its certainly possible, but it requires the application(s) that are going fullscreen to send a dbus command to pidgin or w/e so it automatically sets you away/busy or something. Make a wishlist bug for the program =)

and on intrepid im running the latest version from the repos, 2.5.2 i think

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
For those running Intrepid, what package from the repos do you have installed? I have 1.2.5.2-Oubuntu1, but I only have Pidgin 2.0 installed. Verified by running pidgin --version.

Did you compile Pidgin yourself at any point? You may actually have two versions installed and your executing the old one.

Old Marcus
November 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Getting an error on configure:

configure: error: GNU gettext tools not found; required for intltool

Also, I can't find package networkmanager-dev. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Hubris2
November 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
It is possible I manually-compiled version 2.0 back when it first came out. What is the 'correct' way of uninstalling an old version of an app that's been compiled from source? I assume there's something more complete than simply renaming the executable?

Did you compile Pidgin yourself at any point? You may actually have two versions installed and your executing the old one.