PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deleted the top panel

gillilandboy
August 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hello I installed Unbuntu a few days ago on my HP and I am really loving it. I am thinking about switching to Unbuntu from Windows. I have a small problem I kind of deleted the top panel from Unbuntu and I have no idea how to get it back. If you don't know what I am talking about I am talking about the top bar that has your Apps and stuff like that. I didn't change anything around up there so none of it is custom. If anyone could tell me how to get this back that would be great.

Thanks.

tamoneya
August 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
right click on the bottom panel and select add new panel. Then you should get the top one back. From there right click on the top on and select add to panel. Then add all the stuff you used to have.

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
If you're unsure of the bits and bobs that were up there, the one you'll most likely need is 'Menu' (or there's also the more compact Main Menu, or I may have those mixed up!), and then there's the Task Switcher, Date and Time, User Switcher and I forget what else, hope that helps though. :)

tarps87
August 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
If you're unsure of the bits and bobs that were up there, the one you'll most likely need is 'Menu' (or there's also the more compact Main Menu, or I may have those mixed up!), and then there's the Task Switcher, Date and Time, User Switcher and I forget what else, hope that helps though. :)

Almost :) you may also need the notification area, its the bit that tell you when there are updates, your battery, and bit like that

gianpan
August 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hey all,

Well what about me, I've deleted the top panel and the bottom panel. So basicly all i have is one icon for firefox on my desktop at the moment. I can run terminal through hotkeys any commands to revert things?

EDIT :
grrr : http://prabath321.blogspot.com/2008/03/restore-gnome-panel.html

i've done what it said here and the terminal told me that a panel is already running, logged back in and they were all back :P

Ubuntu rocks!

tarps87
August 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hey all,

Well what about me, I've deleted the top panel and the bottom panel.

It took me ages to work out how to stop it reloading, I'm using awn so didn't want the panels. (I renamed gome-panel to gome-panel2) :)

tamoneya
August 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey all,

Well what about me, I've deleted the top panel and the bottom panel. So basicly all i have is one icon for firefox on my desktop at the moment. I can run terminal through hotkeys any commands to revert things?

EDIT :
grrr : http://prabath321.blogspot.com/2008/03/restore-gnome-panel.html

i've done what it said here and the terminal told me that a panel is already running, logged back in and they were all back :P

Ubuntu rocks!

type this in terminal:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure ubuntu-desktop

thebigsquid
May 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I am a new Ubuntu user who deleted the top panel while trying to add/delete applets from it. Fortunately, I still had Firefox open, found this thread, and had set a keyboard shortcut to Terminal. I was able to restore the panel (although I had to restart to see them reappear - scary!).

I think this is a usability problem.

The ability to delete the panels is a bad idea for newbie users. If your Aunt Martha had done this, for her it would be the equivilent of deleting core system files - it would make the system unusable. She would have a heart attack and call you in a panic, and you'd have to introduce her to the scary world of bash. She would probably run screaming back to Windows.

If Ubuntu wants to compete with Windows in the "average user" market, it should either be impossible to do or require agreeing to a giant prompt that says "do you realize that that bar across the top with all your programs is about to disappear if you do this? - Click: Yes I want the entire top bar to disappear | Ooops no thanks"

Additionally, there should be a little (deletable) icon placed on the desktop that says "Restore Task Bars."

That way, Aunt Martha will probably never do this, and if she does, she can click the little icon to undo it. Those of you who are l33t and know what you're doing could confirm the panel deletion, throw the icon in the trash, and go about your business. Or else user a flavor of Linux that doesn't aspire to take market share from Windows.

theozzlives
May 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't have any panels and my system works fine. You have to jump through hoops to get rid of that last panel. If your Aunt is that insecure, she can get Kubuntu.... all the benefits of Ubuntu with kinda the look and feel of Windows.

waltersfield
May 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I am a new Ubuntu user who deleted the top panel while trying to add/delete applets from it. Fortunately, I still had Firefox open, found this thread, and had set a keyboard shortcut to Terminal. I was able to restore the panel (although I had to restart to see them reappear - scary!).

I think this is a usability problem.

The ability to delete the panels is a bad idea for newbie users. If your Aunt Martha had done this, for her it would be the equivilent of deleting core system files - it would make the system unusable. She would have a heart attack and call you in a panic, and you'd have to introduce her to the scary world of bash. She would probably run screaming back to Windows.

If Ubuntu wants to compete with Windows in the "average user" market, it should either be impossible to do or require agreeing to a giant prompt that says "do you realize that that bar across the top with all your programs is about to disappear if you do this? - Click: Yes I want the entire top bar to disappear | Ooops no thanks"

Additionally, there should be a little (deletable) icon placed on the desktop that says "Restore Task Bars."

That way, Aunt Martha will probably never do this, and if she does, she can click the little icon to undo it. Those of you who are l33t and know what you're doing could confirm the panel deletion, throw the icon in the trash, and go about your business. Or else user a flavor of Linux that doesn't aspire to take market share from Windows.

I agree with you 100%.