PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No boot/shutdown progress, login screen off centre

roncrump
August 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I've just installed Hardy on a work machine. Two little problems:

(1) When booting I am not getting any progress graphics (the Ubuntu logo and orange progress bar), this is also occurring during shutdown.

(2) After my installation, I manually set the monitor to be the one actually being used. Previously it had made a guess and part of the screen was not being used. Anyway, once I am logged in everything is fine but before login, the login has the Ubuntu logo off-centre and the options at the bottom off of the screen, as if the "desktop" being created is too big for the screen.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ron.

Partyboi2
August 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Check your Usplash configuration file to make sure it is correct.

gksudo gedit /etc/usplash.confif it shows something like this

# Usplash configuration file
xres=1280
yres=1024
make sure that the numbers are what your screen resolution uses. So for example if your screen resolution was 1024x768 it would look like this:

xres=1024
yres=768If you make changes after saving the changes type

sudo update-initramfs -u to update.

roncrump
August 20th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

My /etc/usplash.conf file had the correct resolution, but I tried the

sudo update-initramfs -u
command anyway. No difference, still off-centre/over-sized login screen and no boot/shutdown progress info.

Ron.

roncrump
August 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I tried installing startup-manager in order that I could try tweaking bits and pieces. Anyway, having set the resolution to be 1280x1024 (right for my display) in there and trying to reboot, I get a message that I have an invalid video mode. I think this confirms that there is some incompatibility between the display and PC hardware. Which is quite possible - the monitor was added last year when there was a nice 19" one going spare in the department. I guess the operating systems help the monitor and PC to work properly together once they are booted.

So I guess I shouldn't worry too much about this fairly minor problem.