PDA

View Full Version : An insite into what Intel's Nehalem core will offer

Lord Xeb
August 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/what-you-need-to-know-about-nehalem.ars

Building blocks

"Atom" is the brand name for Intel's newly-launched ultramobile processor line, but it could just as well be the name for Intel's next-generation 45nm microarchitecture. This new core microarchitecture, codenamed Nehalem, forms the basic building block from which Intel will assemble the brains for everything from high-end servers to svelte notebooks. Insofar as Nehalem represents a lot more than just a new processor, it's a significant shift for Intel at almost every level.
In this article, I'll give a general overview of Nehalem, focusing on the major changes and big new features that the architecture will eventually bring to Intel's entire x86 processor line. A more in-depth examination of Nehalem from me will show up later in the spring; for now, read on for the highlights. Here's what you need to know about Nehalem.
It's the bandwidth, stupid

{full article cut; follow the link}

I am really foaming at the mouth for this (but some of it I do not understand. But overall I do get the concept and what a vast increase in performance it will offer :D

hanzomon4
August 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Care to explain in english?

Lord Xeb
August 19th, 2008, 05:41 AM
It is a big leap in intel's Core design. I offers the ability to increase performace by 35% at the same clock speed of a Core 2 Duo with 30% less power. also, it will be using a better method of connecting memory and prossors together. The QPT will allow the cores to talk directly to each other and allow direct access to memory. There are some extra intructions to increase performance and decrease the number of wasted clock cycles and also it will offer better vitualization and SMT (simultaneous hyperthreading).

p_quarles
August 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Eh, please don't post whole copies of articles that don't belong to you. This may be one of the finer points of copyright law, but quoting the entire thing gets you in legal hot water. Don't do it.

Linking is fine.

Lord Xeb
August 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Okay, thank you. I will be sure to do that next time.