PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Prevent Users from reading other users email

vorgusa
August 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I was looking around the user folders and found the file for Evolution that has all your emails put into one file. I was curious if I could create another user account that was not an admin and does not have Sudo abilities and view another user's email. I was a bit surprised that I could...

I was curious if there was a way to get Evolution to encrypt this file so that a user could not get into another user's mail?

spin2cool
August 19th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Assuming that the other users don't have the admin/sudo password, you just need to change the permissions.

First, use ls -l make sure the appropriate person owns the file/folder. If not, do the following:

sudo chown username:username foldername

Then, change the permissions of that folder:
chmod go-rwx foldername

If the other users have root access, though, there's no way to stop them, short of creating a encrypted partition. There are good instructions for this elsewhere on these forums and the web.

vorgusa
August 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I thought about that, but the file I am talking about is inside one of the home folders, shouldn't this be done automatically? Plus people like to keep their email fairly private, I would think someone out there would want it encrypted.

hyper_ch
August 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I just made a little check and a lot of stuff is read-execute for group and world. However stuff like .mozilla has group and world permissions set to nothing... same goes for .kde4.... so I think the "sensitive" data is by default only readable by the current user.

Diggs808
August 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
On this subject....

In 8.10 the ability to encrypt folders will be available....

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4

Nepherte
August 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I always chmod the user directories in home to user-only access (0700):

sudo chmod -R 0700 /home/user

I don't have a reason why multiple user on my computer would need access to eachother's home directory.

vorgusa
August 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
On this subject....

In 8.10 the ability to encrypt folders will be available....

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4

That is actually what made me think about looking into stuff like this. I did notice that this was originally planned to just encrypt stuff in a specific folder in the Home folder, does anyone know if this could be easily changed to encrypt the whole Home folder?

I am not a paranoid person, just a curious one :-)

Titan8990
August 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I always chmod the user directories in home to user-only access (0700):

sudo chmod -R 0700 /home/user

I don't have a reason why multiple user on my computer would need access to eachother's home directory.

You should not do this. This will make for example your .dmrc file have permissions that it should not. If you run that command then everytime you log in it will complain that .dmrc does not have 644 permissions.

Nepherte
August 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Doing this for over 2 years now, it never complained. Can you elaborate on this please? What does .dmrc do? Why are those permissions dangerous? Always willing to learn. The only what's in my .dmrc file is:

[Desktop]
Session=gnome
I just don't see why that can be dangerous.

Titan8990
August 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
It's for custom user paths. You can view your current path with this command:

echo $PATH

Now, I don't know why it specifically wants 644 permissions but that is what it says whenever the permissions are changed.

Have you never received this error? I have had both a Fedora install and a Ubuntu install that has complained about incorrect permissions on the .dmrc file.

Nepherte
August 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Have you never received this error? I have had both a Fedora install and a Ubuntu install that has complained about incorrect permissions on the .dmrc file.
Never.

Titan8990
August 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Maybe it's issue is with other people being able to write to it. Try giving it 664 permissions and see if it gives you the error. Either way I personally would not like making my entire home directory executable. Maybe chmod -R 600 ~?

SEMW
August 22nd, 2008, 05:34 AM
Either way I personally would not like making my entire home directory executable. Maybe chmod -R 600 ~?
Wouldn't that make your entire home directory unreadable? I've always understood that directories have to have both read and execute flags set before you can access them. Doesn't make much sense, but oh well.

I think to get what Nepherte's looking for without making everything executable you'd have to do
chmod -R u+rwX,go-rwx ~ The capital X apparently sets the executable flag for directories and files which had it set already, but not otherwise.

(And possibly fix permissions on .dmrc afterwards, as you say.)

Nepherte
August 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Huh? Do I have a problem? Everything works for me here with 0700 permissions for /home/<username> :p. I'm not sure whether the topic starter's problem is solved though.

SEMW
August 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Huh? Do I have a problem? Everything works for me here with 0700 permissions for /home/<username> :p. I'm not sure whether the topic starter's problem is solved though.

No, you're fine -- I was saying I didn't think Titan8990's recommendation of 0600 permissions would work. S/he made that suggestion because s/he didn't think that it would be a good idea to have every single file in your home directory executable. Personally, I can't say that bothers me -- any new files you download will still not be initially executable, so there aren't really any security considerations -- but if it did bother someone, my way would not give any files executable permissions that didn't already have them. (Of course, if your home folder is already completely 0700, then it just won't do anything).