PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD burners automatically close in 8.04 LTS

TrichomeKid
August 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
So I've tried installing 2 brand new DVD burners while using Ubuntu. They both will automatically close after being opened. Just like if the tray was bumped. The first burner won't even read CDs, which leads me to believe it could be hardware failure. However, the 2nd brand new burner does the same thing, only it will (not all the time) actually read the CDs. It does the same immediate closing of the tray. They both do not automatically close when I'm in bios (they both show up there) or at the login screen. This leads me to believe it's a running process causing this problem. Another interesting fact is that I had to use a 7.10 disc to install Ubuntu and the 2nd dvd burner stayed open and read CDs just fine. After the upgrade did both go back to malfunctioning.

I've tried the chat and someone told me bad SATA cable so I switched it and still the problem remains.. Hoping someone on here can help me out.

Thanks!

Raziel-chan
December 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have a similar problem, though with me it's with one burner only.

I have two burners - an IDE and a SATA one. THe IDE one is working correctly, but, after burning a few DVDs - between 1 and five, I guess - in k3b, the SATA one starts closing immediately after it's been opened and stops detecting disks that are inserted into it.

Also, if I turn k3b off and then back on after this problem has shown its ugly head, the program no longer detects the SATA burner.

cya
Raziel-chan