PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial upgrade - Broke some things.

Milambar
August 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Last night, Ubuntu notified me that it had upgrades (as it always does), so I let it download and install them.

I got a dialog advising me it was doing a "Partial Upgrade", I didn't pay much attention to it, and allowed it. I mean, the package maintainers know what they are doing.

Afterwards, I can only get .wmv files to play in VLC where previously they played in ALL my media players. Is there a simple fix for this?

Also, just found this by looking at the kaffeine debug messages, it was missing a codec, ffmpeg..

apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg gives me:

libxine1-ffmpeg: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3) but 1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3.1 is to be installed

Any help here?

Partyboi2
August 19th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Have you tried forcing the earlier version of libxine1-bin? Open up synaptic package manager and do a search for libxine1-bin then highlight it and select "package" then "Force Version" then select the 1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 version.

Milambar
August 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
LOL, I did that... And it wanted to remove:
kaffiene
kde
gnome-desktop
mozilla
etc

So I aborted it. I guess Im going to be stuck with broken media-players until the maintainers resolve this dependency.

-UPDATE- I found the solution here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5642968#post5642968

Ironic that google found that for me, when ubuntuforums own search function didn't. :)