PDA

View Full Version : Are you dissapointed with Ibex?

iampriteshdesai
August 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I know Ibex hasn't even come to its beta stage, but based on the alphas (Code freeze is into effect), Ibex bring very little new things to the table. Uptil now all the releases of Ubuntu have always included the best of Linux world. Many softwares are added every 6 months. Last time the world clock applet was put up so were pulse audio. What about this time? Apart from the tiny time management app nothing new is added. Also Ibex is shaping up to be "The most ugliest Ubuntu ever." http://iampriteshdesai.blogspot.com/2008/07/ubuntu-intrepid-ibex-810-ugliest-ubuntu.html
What is your take? I am considering a switch from Ubuntu to KDE 4.1 which is quite cool.

RiceMonster
August 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's still in alpha...

cookieofdoom
August 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Considering they're not done yet, no I'm not disappointed.

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
It's not even released yet. :neutral:

kool_kat_os
August 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ya, ugh...Regular people dont even use Ibex yet...

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Well here is the known features so far:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=886980 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=886980)

While probably not as major as Hardy was, it doesn't seem like a small list.

For my experience with Ubuntu so far it always seems the Spring releases are much more major then the Fall releases.

Dapper was amazing (probably most major Ubuntu release so far) (Spring release)
Edgy was a mess (Fall release)
Feisty was a IMO a major release and Dell shortly after started offering it (Spring release)
Gutsy Gibbon was OK, but nothing major
Hardy was major major release
Intrepid will be ???
Jolly Jackal will be a major release etc..

We will see :)

Anyways I have an idea of why this is so: tons and tons of OSS development happens in the Summer, because of students doing a lot of the coding..
Now, these projects are usually every experimental and buggy at the end of the Summer, so they don't typically make it by October to be stable enough for the Fall release.

Bachstelze
I am considering a switch from Ubuntu to KDE 4.1 which is quite cool.

Intrepid includes KDE 4.1. So far, so good as far as I'm concerned, but I don't use a regular Ubuntu installation.

OutOfReach
I Agree I think it's wayy to early to judge it, it's still in alpha. :/

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
We have several months until we will be deluged with "Ibex sucks", so lets leave it alone until then? We will have more than enough threads on the suckiness of Ibex then.

Each release gets these types of complaints and then are forgotten. Look at the Hardy threads were people are doing the exact same thing (and people like me are pointing out this happens every release)

So what is the point?

JillSwift
August 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ya, ugh...Regular people dont even use Ibex yet...Heck, even irregular people don't use Ibex yet. ;)

I have it installed on a VM, and it seems pretty good to me. I don't find the theme to be all that appealing, but I'm just not a fan of orange and brown. Plus, the theme, being as changeable as it is, just doesn't strike me as important.

As for new features and such, It has enough to make me look forward to it (though I'm not satisfied with KDE 4.1, so I'm going to wait on upgrading.)

I think it's important not to convince yourself of the quality of a project that's not even halfway done yet. I have this idea I keep in mind called "Realistic Expectations" - Meaning before I go and worry about how much I may or may not like something, I find out what I can actually expect from it, and why.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
We have several months until we will be deluged with "Ibex sucks", so lets leave it alone until then? We will have more than enough threads on the suckiness of Ibex then.

Each release gets these types of complaints and then are forgotten. Look at the Hardy threads were people are doing the exact same thing (and people like me are pointing out this happens every release)

So what is the point?

Ibex could blow people's minds if the new theme makes it in time. People care about how their OS looks. Plus it'll have the .26 kernel, which between .24 to .26 were MAJOR upgrades to wifi support and other desktop stuff.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Heck, even irregular people don't use Ibex yet. ;)

I have it installed on a VM, and it seems pretty good to me. I don't find the theme to be all that appealing, but I'm just not a fan of orange and brown. Plus, the theme, being as changeable as it is, just doesn't strike me as important.

As for new features and such, It has enough to make me look forward to it (though I'm not satisfied with KDE 4.1, so I'm going to wait on upgrading.)

I think it's important not to convince yourself of the quality of a project that's not even halfway done yet. I have this idea I keep in mind called "Realistic Expectations" - Meaning before I go and worry about how much I may or may not like something, I find out what I can actually expect from it, and why.

Well remember a new theme is on the official plans for Ibex, so until it gets differed [very possible :(] it has the potential to really "seem" like a major release to most people.

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM

So what is the point?

+100

The <insert just released Ubuntu version here> sucks/is buggy/doesn't work etc. threads happen every 6 months along with the "I'm going back to the previous release" threads which don't make any sense considering 6 months prior it was considered buggy. :???:

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ibex could blow people's minds if the new theme makes it in time. People care about how their OS looks. Plus it'll have the .26 kernel, which between .24 to .26 were MAJOR upgrades to wifi support and other desktop stuff.

Yes, it probably could. However, do we really want people who use it just for looks?

They will be much harder to deal with than current newbies.

JillSwift
August 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Well remember a new theme is on the official plans for Ibex, so until it gets differed [very possible :(] it has the potential to really "seem" like a major release to most people.Which is what I mean by realistic expectations. :)

iampriteshdesai
August 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
"They will be much harder to deal with than current newbies."
This attitude wont take us any where.

Kernel Sanders
August 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I know Ibex hasn't even come to its beta stage, but based on the alphas (Code freeze is into effect), Ibex bring very little new things to the table. Uptil now all the releases of Ubuntu have always included the best of Linux world. Many softwares are added every 6 months. Last time the world clock applet was put up so were pulse audio. What about this time? Apart from the tiny time management app nothing new is added. Also Ibex is shaping up to be "The most ugliest Ubuntu ever." http://iampriteshdesai.blogspot.com/2008/07/ubuntu-intrepid-ibex-810-ugliest-ubuntu.html
What is your take? I am considering a switch from Ubuntu to KDE 4.1 which is quite cool.

You sir, appear to be trolling. I have seen your blog posted here twice in the past two days, and if I may say, it appears to require the reader to wear flame retardent clothing :-k

Seriously, Ibex isn't out yet, or remotely close to release. Asking if anyone's disappointed in it, along with your blog indicates a less than honest motive IMHO.

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Seriously, Ibex isn't out yet, or remotely close to release. Asking if anyone's disappointed in it, along with your blog indicates a less than honest motive IMHO.

Right. Lets wait until it is released before tearing it apart. Thread closed. If when it is released the OP still feels the same, ask for this to be reopened (as if there won't be thousands of threads by then on this...)