PDA

View Full Version : Voip internet telephony

terry_gardener
August 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Just wondered does any of you use voip and if so which provider do you use.

also do you use hardware (ata or ip phones) or software (skype, softphones etc)

what do you think of voip.

Erdaron
August 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Skype is one of my favorite things ever, although the recent backdoor debacle dampened that a bit.

Neobuntu
August 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I am testing the "MagicJack". USB to phone. The promise is, a year (12 months) for $40(including the unit). That includes your phone number(user selectable,) fancy features (Caller ID, etc...) and voice mail that works; even when your system is off!

I did something I NEVER do or necessarily recommend. I paid $60 extra ($40 + $60 + $7 shipping, at check out) to extend the year to 5 more years! IF this (risky) all goes well, I will get my total service for $1.48 a month! Not including Internet tolls(broadband).

Problem number one is, when my total system is completely off and out of the loop, they are still working out connectivity problems (voice mail reliability.) I guess these are from high demand. Yet, things are improving and I'm giving them the chance to correct their issues.

They also have a lot of new firmware upgrades to their MJ unit. Which relates back to my configuration.

With VOIP (on your end) one has to at least follow their help (online chat) to improve settings that optimize your system for clean audio. This is the current reality for any VOIP. The needed bandwidth is only 128K but that's with NOTHING else running. Windows tends to install a bunch of muck in the background and you may have to do some house cleaning.

Which brings me to the biggest grip. Currently, the MJ only works with Windows (and Mac I read.) I'm really noticing overall XP instabilities and quirks, compared to running Kubuntu. Two things about that. First, they have said [B]Ubuntu support is coming! Yet second, they are NOT giving any details! In fairness, I think they're correcting foundational problems, at this point with their Windows drivers first. I guess they haven't figured out that Ubuntu needs to be done at the same time. (I'm still under a supposed no-risk trial, return offer.)

What bothers me, is the MSN links in their user interface. Look out! They may well be in talks with Microsoft. They may take the quick fortune(payoff) instead. That could effectively kill the endeavor and it's real benefits. I'm just saying...It's not like it hasn't happened before or that Microsoft doesn't have the bankroll to do it. I'm just speculating.

Time will tell. I do think it's past time for any OEM that's worth their salt, to consider parallel development with Ubuntu and not just Windows. There's a huge demand for Ubuntu. All an OEM has to do is communicate with Ubuntu(open source) developers. I have no doubt that Ubuntu (or similar) will eventually be the dominate popular installed base. I suggest companies get the fact that we have LONG memories. The last ones jumping on the bandwagon may just become irrelevant.

Anyway. If you want to give it a go, this is my report. It's does not cost much ($40) to play with it. It's cheaper than dirt. Just remember (my report) that I note, they are still getting the bugs out (fast.)

PLEASE GO TO THEIR ONLINE CHAT AND ASK *NICELY* FOR SIMPLE UBUNTU COLLABORATION!

http://www.magicjack.com/techchat/

HermanAB
August 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Vonage. It works. What more can I say? You dial a number and you speak on the horn, pretty much the way O'll Graham Bell intended.

gn2
August 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I tried it for a while, but here in the UK conventional landlines can work out cheaper so I don't use it any more.

ayllu
September 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I use yahoo because the rates are cheaper for call to South America, but I have to use it in wondows, I want to configure it in some software to use ir in ubuntu. If anyone have ideas please tallme.

VitaLiNux
September 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I use yahoo because the rates are cheaper for call to South America, but I have to use it in wondows, I want to configure it in some software to use ir in ubuntu. If anyone have ideas please tallme.
Try it through wine. I use a program to make voip calls named EyeBeam, even though there's a similar program for Linux, I find the Win version better(it supports up to six lines of voice, while the Linux version has just two lines.)The point is that I didn't know it would work with wine, but It worked flawlessly :D