PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why does ubuntu install hundreds of languages then remove them all?

jamespi
August 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
my friend who has spent the past couple of weeks enthusing about being introduced to linux, has just been bitterly complaining about how he installed ubuntu onto a usb memory stick on his eeePC only to have it overwrite the master boot record on the internal storage of the eeePC. (which is offtopic for now...)

anyway, he was disappointed that it took 2 hours to install onto the usb stick, and he was particularly incensed that it for some reason the installer installs hundreds of languages like Catalan and Gujarati for no particular reason, and then uninstalls them all at the end of the process. he said ubuntu must be full of pointless bloat and the developers must have the microsoft mentality of just bung it all in and paint over the cracks instead of configuring things properly.

so i told him he should ask why the languages were all installed then uninstalled, otherwise he's just assuming it's laziness (perhaps it is).

i just thought i'd ask in case there's a good explanation for this behaviour.