PDA

View Full Version : What's your experience with flash?

ikt
August 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
In line with the latest linux haters blog post 'flash me a clue' I'm wondering about what peoples experiences with adobe flash have been on ubuntu 8.04.

I currently have adobes flash installed with firefox 3.

On youtube and various flash based websites I have no issues at all, no crashing, no sound issues, it works fine. I would like to know how bad it really is.

What's your current experience with flash like?

(I'd like to keep this current and not focus on flash not working on slackware 5 etc)

steeleyuk
August 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Flash 9 with Firefox worked well for me. Except that stupid bug where the Flash would be placed over the content.

Flash 10 Beta 1 worked well enough for me, though had the same problem as above.

Flash 10 Beta 2 was buggy and crashed whenever it wanted.

Currently using Flash 10 Beta 3 and its working great. Fixed the Flash-on-top bug and not had any crashes since installing it a few week ago.

Not tried with Pulseaudio recently but I did have a few problems with it. Couldn't pin it down to a Flash or Pulseaudio problem though. Seemed to be a bit of both.

billgoldberg
August 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
In line with the latest linux haters blog post 'flash me a clue' I'm wondering about what peoples experiences with adobe flash have been on ubuntu 8.04.

I currently have adobes flash installed with firefox 3.

On youtube and various flash based websites I have no issues at all, no crashing, no sound issues, it works fine. I would like to know how bad it really is.

What's your current experience with flash like?

(I'd like to keep this current and not focus on flash not working on slackware 5 etc)

I had some issues with flash crashing on Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04, but then it stopped when I switched to alsa on 8.04.

But the fullscreen playback was still laggy and a cpu hog.

This has been fixed in the lastest flash player (10 rc).

So now flash is working good, no problems anymore.

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I use Opera 9.51 with Flash 10 Beta 3 (the RC)

I also use xmonad or wmii, which removes any window manager factors from the experience (sometimes I think the instability of it comes from Compiz or a big DE).

Flash works very well, except for some situations which I don't do a lot.

jespdj
August 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
No problems with Flash at all.

I use 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04. The only thing I had to do was install the package flashplugin-nonfree. It automatically installs the nspluginwrapper necessary to make 32-bit Flash work in 64-bit Firefox.

Never had any crashes or other weird behaviour with Flash. Reading many posts about Flash in these forums, I wonder if I'm just lucky or if many people only think that it's more complicated than it really is.

saulgoode
August 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Flash causes me no problems. I have never installed it and based on all the grief it seems to create, I doubt I ever will.

SupaSonic
August 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I can't get through a couple of youtube videos without Flash crashing. Both in FF and Opera. Disgusting.

billgoldberg
August 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I can't get through a couple of youtube videos without Flash crashing. Both in FF and Opera. Disgusting.

Use the new flash player 10:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/08/12/install-flash-player-10-rc-on-ubuntu/

ajgreeny
August 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Flash 10rc (or beta3, apparently) is working very well for me with none of the jerkiness I was getting when compiz was enabled in Flash9. Full screen works well also, though there is a strange problem that the video is still when you go back to a window, but a click in the scroll bar gets the video moving again; no need to actually scroll, just click in the bar.

spupy
August 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Flash 9 worked ok.
Flash 10 works ok, too, but videos have artifacts on them, and controls look blurry.
I'm using 9 right now.
(Note: Gentoo, Firefox 3)

Ozor Mox
August 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure how to find out what version of Flash I'm using, but oddly it works fine on my desktop and I haven't had any Firefox crashes for a long time, but on my laptop it often kills it. Firefox doesn't freeze, it just disappears when a Flash video starts to play, blink and I miss it!

Newuser1111
August 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Flash has little or no problems.(On my computer)

spupy
August 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure how to find out what version of Flash I'm using, but oddly it works fine on my desktop and I haven't had any Firefox crashes for a long time, but on my laptop it often kills it. Firefox doesn't freeze, it just disappears when a Flash video starts to play, blink and I miss it!

Flash 10 kills Firefox instantly on last.fm. Try any artist page. (Example: http://www.last.fm/music/Mozart)

Ozor Mox
August 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Flash 10 kills Firefox instantly on last.fm. Try any artist page. (Example: http://www.last.fm/music/Mozart)

Nope no problems on my desktop with Firefox 3.0.1, even when I started playing stuff. On my laptop I have no doubt it would have died though. I wish I could find an explanation for that!

kirsis
August 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Flash isn't causing me a lotta probs lately. Installed the flashblock extension and now sites that used to have a lot of flash ads don't slow down FF anymore.

Youtube works just fine (besides Totem has a youtube plugin, which'd be amazing if it had proper buffering), which is really all I use it for.

The 10rc sometimes crashes firefox but that's about it.