PDA

View Full Version : this site contains copyrighted material your ip address has been logged?

swoll1980
August 18th, 2008, 06:52 AM
My gf was looking at jewlery online, and a firefox window popped up posting this warning. What does this mean?

lisati
August 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I have no idea why you might receive this warning, unless the server at the website's end thought that your gf was trying to save copies of images or other information onto his own machine. Personally I think that would be unnecessary: although I don't know the technical details, I have visited sites where the usual "save image as...." link when you right-click on a picture was disabled.

sstusick
August 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I don't know the technical details, I have visited sites where the usual "save image as...." link when you right-click on a picture was disabled.Doesn't matter. You can still use screenshots to save the images or save the webpages.

Giant Speck
August 18th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Doesn't matter. You can still use screenshots to save the images or save the webpages.

They aren't trying to get around it. Lisati is trying to explain why the message is popping up.

p_quarles
August 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I have visited sites where the usual "save image as...." link when you right-click on a picture was disabled.
Which is, ultimately, just a cheap Javascript hack, and is circumvented simply by disabling JS.

Basically, defenses like this are implemented by people who are both profoundly paranoid in addition to being profoundly ignorant regarding the technology they are using.

-grubby
August 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Doesn't matter. You can still use screenshots to save the images or save the webpages.

Or view the source and get the URLs of the images. Disabling right click on a site usually means I leave the site. Meh I just wish people would stop abusing technology.. I could go on a big rant about invalid xhtml but I'll spare you

Dremora
August 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Which is, ultimately, just a cheap Javascript hack, and is circumvented simply by disabling JS.

Basically, defenses like this are implemented by people who are both profoundly paranoid in addition to being profoundly ignorant regarding the technology they are using.

Good time to mention that noscript will get rid of all that pesky behavior and let you set up a "whitelist" full of sites that actually need to use scripts.

it takes some work to set up, but after that, those nuisance scripts are gone.

And to the OP, yes it is just a stupid javascript, the are trying to scare you, nobody will be coming to take you away. Ha Ha! :lolflag:

billgoldberg
August 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Ignore the warning.

Most of the websites log your IP address.

--

About the right-click.

If something is shown on a webpage you have already downloaded it onto your computer (how else would you see it?).

So those cheap javascript scripts are just to prevent the more technologically challenged people to "steal" their images.

It is also considered a bad practice by webmasters to to these kind of things.

Like another user mentioned, if a site has such scripts, leave them and visit the "competition".

mrgnash
August 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Heh, I've had websites inform me that my details had been submitted to the FBI, CIA, etc. etc. and needless to say, I'm still a free man ;)

host07
August 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
It seems a very good way of making your customers goto the competition.

Dremora
August 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Heh, I've had websites inform me that my details had been submitted to the FBI, CIA, etc. etc. and needless to say, I'm still a free man ;)

That's what you think, until the next time you light a cigar.

Either the CIA will have put poison in it. (How they tried to kill Castro)

Or they'll send Rob Reiner out after you.

mrgnash
August 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
That's what you think, until the next time you light a cigar.

Either the CIA will have put poison in it. (How they tried to kill Castro)

Or they'll send Rob Reiner out after you.

:lolflag:

I'm not a big cigar smoker, so they'll need to try another tactic with me. I am partial to tea, though. What are the rates for a good poison-taster these days? :P

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Or view the source and get the URLs of the images. Disabling right click on a site usually means I leave the site. Meh I just wish people would stop abusing technology.. I could go on a big rant about invalid xhtml but I'll spare you

You learn well.

Whenever I want things from a site, I just go get it from the cache or /tmp. I use them locally so I am not breaking any agreements.

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
My gf was looking at jewlery online, and a firefox window popped up posting this warning. What does this mean?

That means it is just a JS popup. The site is informing you.

Don't be worried about the IP address. The only way they could use it would be to find your ISP (which is not something you could easily hide anyway and there are better ways of finding people)

For the ISP to use the information, they would likely require a warrant, and warrants are not easy to get.

If it makes you feel better, almost every site will record your IP (even my home page did for a while, when I wrote a script to gather statistics).

Tux.Ice
August 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
every site w/ cpanel does record your ip.

Ozor Mox
August 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Best course of action: Ignore it and never shop there again.

JillSwift
August 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Personally, I'd leave a note for them - if they have a contact page.

I'd explain that I don't purchase anything from a business that would give me such an aggressive sounding warning, in effect treating me more like a potential criminal than a potential customer.

I've found this effective in a situation at a local video store, where the cashier refused to sell me blank DVD-R media and rent a couple of DVD movies at the same time. I left with an apology from the manager and two free movie rentals.

aaaantoine
August 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Personally, I'd leave a note for them - if they have a contact page.

I'd explain that I don't purchase anything from a business that would give me such an aggressive sounding warning, in effect treating me more like a potential criminal than a potential customer.

I've found this effective in a situation at a local video store, where the cashier refused to sell me blank DVD-R media and rent a couple of DVD movies at the same time. I left with an apology from the manager and two free movie rentals.

If the video store has a problem with it, what are they doing selling DVD-Rs and renting videos at the same site?

ikt
August 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
every site w/ cpanel does record your ip.

not necessarily cpanel, just basically every website.

In my syslog I get a message everytime someone connects to the dns port, http port etc.

At one point or another you're getting logged along the way by someone or something.

cpetercarter
August 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Whenever you visit a website, the server asks for your IP address. Depending on how the server is set up, it may keep a log of IP addresses of visitors. Many companies use this log to help analyse the sorts of people who visit their website.

But, in all probability, it isn't "your" IP address at all, but an IP address allocated dynamically by your ISP. So the most a server-owner could do would be to trace which ISP a particular visitor uses, and what city she/he is located in.

Moreover, the server-owner would find it extremely difficult to establish what you did with, say, a copyright image which you downloaded. After all, if you view his web page, your browser asks for - and receives - all the images on the page. The server cannot possibly tell the difference between a request for an image to display legitimately on a web page, and a request for an image which you then save on your computer.

It reminds me of the sites which display a pop-up displaying your IP address, make of computer, browser etc and a message to the effect that "they know all about you". They don't, of course. They are just using javascript to get your computer to display information about itself.

Twitch6000
August 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Leave my Javascript alone :( it hasn't hurt anyone lol.

Sorry I am just good with Javascript lol.

Anyways it is probably just a warning telling you the site is keeping track of what you are doing.Now if this is a good or bad thing that depends..

Ozor Mox
August 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Leave my Javascript alone it hasn't hurt anyone lol.

Sorry I am just good with Javascript lol.

Like everything else, it's great if you use it probably, but can be awful if used badly. And as it happens, a great example of this is no right click code on websites, which someone earlier summed up perfectly as being ignorant of the technology that's being used. If they hate the thought of other people downloading things from their website, they had better make sure they have no visitors!

Anyways it is probably just a waning telling you the site is keeping track of what you are doing.Now if this is a good or bad thing that depends..

This would be acceptable, though it should be a small text warning and not an intrusive popup. But somehow I don't think that's what it was, it seemed like no right click code with a purposefully scary warning to me.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Those popups are a joke. You don't even need NoScript to get past them.

View -> Page Source

JillSwift
August 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
If the video store has a problem with it, what are they doing selling DVD-Rs and renting videos at the same site?That was one of the points I made in my discussion of the store policy with the manager. In the end he saw that the policy was as stupid as... well, as it is.

And I see that as a parallel with putting copyrighted graphics on the web, and then putting up a hostile message for your customers. It's stupid, insulting, and should not be tolerated.

Dremora
August 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
That means it is just a JS popup. The site is informing you.

Don't be worried about the IP address. The only way they could use it would be to find your ISP (which is not something you could easily hide anyway and there are better ways of finding people)

For the ISP to use the information, they would likely require a warrant, and warrants are not easy to get.

If it makes you feel better, almost every site will record your IP (even my home page did for a while, when I wrote a script to gather statistics).

But, but, but,,,,,,,he downloaded a picture and broke "international copyright law" (doesn't exist).

They couldn't even tell if the browser was loading it or if you downloaded it, so if they're making complaints, it's about everyone that loads the image in their browser.

Meaning the government isn't gonna touch that because everyone that's ever loaded a web page is guilty. :lolflag:

swoll1980
August 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
yeah it's not smart business. We got of the site right away, and are not gooing back to it. All she was doing was shopping for a ring, and saving pictures of the ones she liked. The warning scared us away from doing business with them. How is that smart?