PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help, installing bittorrent

Jeremywilms
August 18th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Not too sure about the linux terminal at the moment, I had a hard time with linux before which caused me to uninstall it. But now I have found a use for it. Anyway I need help installing bittorrent on this Operating System. I tried going to the directory where the linux source is(I think thats what its called) in the terminal then typing make install, however I get :

** no rule to make target "install" Stop.

Maybe I downloaded the wrong source, maybe I'm doing it incorrectly, any help would be wonderful.

tuxxy
August 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Ubuntu comes with a bit torrent client if thats what you mean, try applications > internet > transmission or if you fancy a more sophisticated client you could try Deluge, its in the repos or type

sudo apt-get install Deluge

mellowd
August 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
If you are new to linux I'd suggest to stay away from compiling anything at the moment.

Are you a bit comfortable on the command line though? If so I'd reccomend using rtorrent as you can ssh into it from anywhere and use screen to manage it from anywhere

Jeremywilms
August 18th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Oh I see, thank you, however for future reference, did I input the correct command or was it the source?

tuxxy
August 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
You must configure it first, by typing

./configure

then make,

make

finally install it,

sudo make install