PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Problems installing Kubuntu

seandee
August 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a new system, but am having some difficulties. Form some reason, I have been able to install Hardy 64-bit, but when I try to install Kubuntu (any version) the system just hangs. any ideas.

Partyboi2
August 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
At what point is it hanging?

seandee
August 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I get to the point where I select install Kubuntu. The system then starts reading the drive, then eventually, nothing happens.

rohedin
August 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
It could be a corrupt disc. Try selecting the integrity checker at the boot menu.

seandee
August 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I am not sure if that is the problem, I did try to run the liveCD in my laptop, and it worked fine

Partyboi2
August 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
At the main menu press F6 and change the word splash to nosplash, this will remove the splash screen and hopefully give you a clue to where it is stopping.

seandee
August 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I tried the "nosplash" option. Screen goes blank. The HDD indicator stays light. I have tried installing with the alternate CD, and non of HDDs are detected. Also, NIC does not work, since the system is unable to get IP from DHCP. When using 32-bit Kubuntu LiveCD, system boots to terminal login (no GUI).

caljohnsmith
August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
If Hardy 64-bit Ubuntu works for you, you could just install that, and then "add Kubuntu on top of it" by simply installing the "kubuntu-desktop" package. That will give you Ubuntu + Kubuntu, and you will have the choice of which desktop to log into at the login screen. That's actually how I do it, so I have the best of both worlds so to speak. :)